What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New possible info on 75mm

bacarnal

Ordnance Approved/Premium
Ordnance approved
I recently came to the conclusion that the unknown 75mm I use as an avatar was fuzed with something akin to the MKVI Fuze as used on the U.S. Stokes Mortar. One of the members here kindly brought one from his collection to SLICS where I was able to try it with the round. After fitting the fuze loosely to the round, I found they were a perfect fit for size and thread pitch. Due to corrosion in the threads, I wasn't able to seat the fuze, but was able to confirm my premise. Any comments would be appreciated. 20230406_084000.jpg

Someone tried an old civil war Schenkel design with a driving band ?
That is one possibility. At one time, I think the U.S. experimented with a 3" Mortar that was rifle (like the 4.2" Mortar). The area that it was found leads me to believe it is mortar related. That said, there is also the possibility that the propelling charge was affixed to the round like the paper machete sabot of the Schenkl but was consumable. The copper rotating (driving) band is attached in such a way that the gas pressure would act/push on the lower part (left in the picture) and give it expansion. I posted this round years ago with more pictures, but one interesting thing to me is that the interior of the round is pre-engraved (coined is another term I've been told).
As far as the MK XI fuze, I think the threads (diameter and pitch) on it are similar to the M1907M Time Fuze so too small to fit in the fuze well.