What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new questions and new riddles

jhonni \

This grenade was find in Russian Federation (Alanija, Vladikavkaz region)
- Fuse was find near from body (is a Polish "wz.GR31")
- Body have a grey colour and red stripe and have a cap.
This grenade body is not a Polish, also the like grenade by French i don't find too...
What do you think?
May be guys from France help us?
:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Attachments

• IMG_3803-1.jpg
    IMG_3803-1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3805-1.jpg
    IMG_3805-1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3806-1.jpg
    IMG_3806-1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 10
Of1

Hi johnni, I am un-familiar with the fuze, but would venture to say that the grenade body is that of an OF1 France (offensive F1 grenade). The Poles and Russians seemed to make use of the French defensive F1 body re-fuzed. I suspect that it is a Polish grenade using the offensive French F1 body. Can anyone expand on this?? Dano

Last edited:
This is French body with Polish fuse.
Poland was useing Frech OF after wwI like many other grenades from Germany,UK,Russia and Austia.
I think this grenade was taken by Russian on the begining of the wwII from Polish magazines.
I know that some part of Polish fuses went to France but I dont remember wich markings was on this fuses.
I think more possible that this is Polish grenade not French.
Now we can only speculate is it French or Polish grenade.

my little notice:
France in 1935 year bought about 318000 fuzes in Poland. In 1937 year France bought license on Polish fuze and adopted this fuze as "Mle-1935". (look at Darryl W. Lynn book Volume 3 "Warsaw pact")

As version it may be French prewar grenade (1935-1937yy) since from 1937 France produced this fuses with Frenches marking (I know only one "AEM"). But i don't saw French grenades "OF" with grey body and red stripe - only green with stripe.

mle1915of1.jpg

On photo French grenade "OF 1915" from Lex Peverelli website.....

re-fuzed surplus grenade bodies

Thankyou johnni as you provided information that I was unawares. It is amazing how these French grenade bodies "made the rounds" of various countries. I seem to learn more and more each day as these between the wars grenades fall into a catagory all to themselves. Keep the intrigueing posts a coming as I am very interested in this period of time. Poland made use of grenade bodies (such as the British #16 MK1) re-fuzed them and all with a high degree of success. A very cost effective means of making hand grenades. Such grenades would indeed make a great collection in themselves (there I go ranting again). Cheers....Dano

This is for sure French body.You can see diffrence in shape.
I was saying that this grenade came from Poland becouse it is possible that russians could takes this grenades from Polish magazines.
How French OF came to Russia from France?

I'm very glad if help you. In this world is much more questions.
In this time appearance a new book by Polish comrades (about Polish grenades).
I'm wait this book and my friends too... May be a few secrets will be open.
:)

This is for sure French body.You can see diffrence in shape.
I was saying that this grenade came from Poland becouse it is possible that russians could takes this grenades from Polish magazines.
How French OF came to Russia from France?

Yep, it's a same as French.
- Perhaps Russians could takes these grenades from Polish ammunition depots, but in this time Polish produced their "wz.Z.33"!
- How "OF" came to Russia??! :) Germans also could takes it from French magazines. ;) East front...1941-1945yy World War 2.. :))

Last edited: