What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New shotgun shell

12 Gauge shotgun, but it's blue and I have never seen one like it.
I have always wanted a blue shotgun shell but I thought those were 16 gauges. Its smoothe and the inside is bumpy like the outside of a 20gauge.

Ill post a picture of it later.

Both 12 & 16 gauge shells can be any colour except yellow which is reserved for 20 gauge. This is so you can easily identify 20 G shells as they fit nicely down the breech into the barrel of a 12G gun and a 12G shell can then be loaded behind it. I've seen it happen once and the chap was lucky in only loosing one finger.

C.

Hi Charlie,
I used to shoot a fair amount of shotgun years ago and had heard of a similar incident, just never noticed that there were no yellow 12g carts, you learn something new every day.
Best regards Weasel.

I have plenty of them, in several shades of blue, plastic mind you, not paper. If you want a few, pm me.

Andy

Both 12 & 16 gauge shells can be any colour except yellow which is reserved for 20 gauge. This is so you can easily identify 20 G shells as they fit nicely down the breech into the barrel of a 12G gun and a 12G shell can then be loaded behind it. I've seen it happen once and the chap was lucky in only loosing one finger.

C.

That happened to a friend of mines wife at a clay pigeon shoot. She had no injury luckily but obviously wrecked the shotgun.

Hi

sorry but the information regarding there being no modern 12gauge shotgun cartridges in yellow only 20gauge is incorrect.
i have lots of modern yellow plastic 12g carts in my collection, can post some pics if you want.
I am also a shooting instructor for my local gun clubs and have had loads of people use 12g yellow carts, thats where i got most of mine from for my collection if its one i havnt got usually end up blagging one for my collection and yes i am licenced but not that you need to be to collect live shotgun cartridges anyway incase anybody didnt no cheers.

from bazooka chris

Last edited:
Well I stand corrected Chris. I always thought it was a gentleman’s agreement between the manufacturers for safety reasons. But you don’t need a ticket for possession of live shotgun rounds, only to buy.

Hi Charlie

If it was once an agrement it would be interesting to find out why somebody started to break it ?
And yes I said above that you don't need a license to collect them and I just put I had a license purly for the fact that I have and Theres no disputing I can posses them :) cheers

From bazooka chris

This was used in an episode of 'Midsomer Murders'. The villain slipped a 20G cartridge into the pocket of the victim. Then distracted by the general excitement of the shooting party, she (i) didn't notice it was a 20G, (ii) didn't notice that it had not fired as the lack of a loud bang was obscured by the other barrel firing normally, and (iii) didn't notice that it had not been ejected with the other (12G) cartridge.