What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New unknown 1,000 pound casing with interesting fin assembly. *USA*

Down at Joops this morning, organising training for some inspectors.

Took a few snaps as always.

Thank you all for the assistance.

Fabricated a fin and a stand, and restored the body of the casing the best I could, as it was covered in very heavy pitting.

I initially had planned to patch the shape charge demilitarization punch, but left it be and highlighted it with red paint in order to preserve that aspect of the casings history.

Next weekend I will do the nomenclature and give the casing a coat of "non-gloss" (cannot think on the word for the life of me) clear coat.

1234.jpg

I agree - very nice job. I also agree with leaving the demil hole unplugged. It makes for a more interesting display.
Regards,
Jim

box fin assembly

Hi,The box fin assembly looks to be the same as is fitted to the "home made"incendiary bombs posted on the forum today by kl11zr,
Regards,Don,

I don't follow. Could I get a link to what you are referring to, Beihan62?

Usually I save my work for the weekends, but I found myself experiencing paint withdraw this afternoon.

I did not see the shipping instructions on any of the pictures you all kindly provided, but I thought the casing looked kind of bare without it.

A few touch ups and we are ready for the move to the display room.

CG.jpg

Outlook6,

Hi Jim,Many thanks for explaining what I meant about the fins shown on another thread,I do not have enough computer skills to have done it myself,again many thanks,
Kind Regards,Don,

Hi Dead, incendiary and chemical filled bomb have same body casing, walls wrap thin to favor the breakup.
Hi Francesco

A few pages from the 1944 bomb book

Attachments

• Bombs 14.jpg
    Bombs 14.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Bombs 24.jpg
    Bombs 24.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Bombs 104.jpg
    Bombs 104.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Bombs 105.jpg
    Bombs 105.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Bombs 138.jpg
    Bombs 138.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 18
Hi Dead, incendiary and chemical filled bomb have same body casing, walls wrap thin to favor the breakup.
Hi Francesco

Actually the thin walls are to allow for more chemical agent. CW efficiency used to be rated by the ratio of agent weight vs overall weight.