What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newest addition, Italian Benaglia Rifle grenade

Gustaf

I just acquired a nice Italian Benaglia Rifle grenade, this is a nice example with fins that are in very good condition, many of these grenades have either badly pitted or no fins, so I am rather happy with this one.
Italianriflegrenade004.jpg

Here is the grenade ready to stick down the bore of a Carcano
Italianriflegrenade001.jpg

And here ist is apart showing all the bits.
Best wishes

think its ww1
and a nice example too.
Those fins nearly always rust away if its a relic
are you going to dip it a little to get rid of any rust or are you going to leave it as it is?

18 Pounder is right, it is WWI vintage, although it was listed as WWII on the auction, I think I will leave it as it is, I do not think the Italians painted these, and the rust does not detract in person.
Best wishe
Gus

Fantastic bit of kit Gus,

Great find, probably as rare as hens teeth in that condition.

Andy

Hey Andy, maybe not that rare, but not often found. A fellow in Italy has two of these on SA currently, neither has the fins, although they are rather nice otherwise.
Gus

WW1 Beneglia Italian rifle grenade

Most definately World War one and a fine beauty. I used to have one and they are quite imposing looking, a true beauty Gus. Congrats on finding that one...Dano

I am finding the rodded rifle grenades to be interesting, most people look at me with horror when I show them how the work, but if they were to be fired with a live round, I supect things would get ugly in a hurry. I guess I will have to find a rodded French F1, as I turned up a blank French cartridge, I can not think of a better reason to buy a grenade, well OK, I can, but any reason is a good reason.
Bes twishes
Gus

see the book: Bombe a mano e da fucile italiane 1914-1918
by Maurice Frei
edit: Ermando Albertelli Editore 1994

my old beneglia

Hi Gus, here is a snappy of my old beneglia (this is one that ended up at show of shows in Louisville Kentucky also). This was originally bought by me on eGay. Backe then (just a few years ago) they went for a c-note....danananano

Attachments

• ordnance_pics_256_800x600.jpg
    ordnance_pics_256_800x600.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
heres a few variants and a sectioned one.
Anyone know why the early ones had a wood cup on the bottom? this one is a modern replacement.
Paul.

Attachments

• Page10Benagglia2.jpg
    Page10Benagglia2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Page10Benagglia.jpg
    Page10Benagglia.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 22
  • SECTIONEDBENAGGLIA.jpg
    SECTIONEDBENAGGLIA.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 30
heres a few variants and a sectioned one.
Anyone know why the early ones had a wood cup on the bottom? this one is a modern replacement.
Paul.

i think it might be to do with the blast from the blank.

The wooden cup would provide a larger mass for the expelling gasses to push the grenade, so pushing the grenade further forward.

18pounder

p.s lovelly section

Last edited by a moderator:
That is good sound reasoning 18 Pounder, but wouldn't the wooden base be far enough away to be effective by the time the rod left the rifle? Lex has one depicted on his web page with the wooden base, and it look like the fins were attached to it. Battlefield currently has one with the original wooden base on SA
Gus

Hi Gus, here is a snappy of my old beneglia (this is one that ended up at show of shows in Louisville Kentucky also). This was originally bought by me on eGay. Backe then (just a few years ago) they went for a c-note....danananano

Hey Dano, I lucked out on this one, the seller listed it as WWII and I got it for the reserve of $150 plus $8 shipping. I had bid on it months ago, but had missed the reserve by a few dollars, and I usually do not get too excited to chase a reserve price because they usually are beyond my means. It looks like yours was a nice one too. I sucks when you have to sell off a collection to meet obligations, but the great thing about collecting this stuff (compaired to beaniebabys) is that one can sell items in an emergancy, making collecting an asset rather than a liability.
Bes twihses
Gus

Hey Psykfallet,
Sorry, I missed your comment, I do not think these were used in WWII, as the rodded grenade caused too much damage to the rifles, and were replaced by the spigot grenades by WWII.
Best
Gsu