What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newton Pippin Grenades

ron3350

I show photos of the Newton Pippin hand and rifle grenades from 1915. Made by Second Army Workshop in France.
These are scarce items and were later re-designed as the No 22 rifle grenade.

Note the different shape/mouldings.
The rifle version is 45mm diameter, 127mm long and 26mm at the bottom of the nose cap. Rod is only 10" (255mm) so broken? Not 17.75" rod.

The hand version is 48.5mm diameter, 128mm overall and 32.5mm at the bottom of the nose cap so wider.
The cap is possibly a replacement? I have not noted this larger diameter in books. Different moulds?

Newton-Pippin a.jpgNewton-Pippin b.jpg

Interesting cap. Made with 2 folds of metal. My rifle grenade rusted cap looks genuine and is one piece with a smaller 5mm striker head. Yours looks larger?
The cap on my hand grenade looks a replacement. Nice to see another cap.
Is the rod meant to be 17.75" long or 15" ?

I no longer have this grenade so can't measure it. However the one in my collection which does not have a cap, has a rod of 17.25 " (when fitted to the grenade).