What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice Little Inkpot

Millsman

Premium Member
Picked this up the other day in France. Nice little German rifle grenade which is strippable and still has a leather or fibre divider in it.

John

Attachments

• SSCN4342.JPG
    SSCN4342.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 57
  • SSCN4341.JPG
    SSCN4341.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 53
Good morning John,
Can you give me any information on the inkpot grenade which you show, is it WW1 or WW2? I've never heard of them before. Has anyone got a drawing or a section to share?
Many thanks,
Guy.

Hi John, Yes the German WW1 m1917 rifle grenade, a rip-off of the French V.B. rifle grenade. These are cool little buggers, and come with a variety of makers marks. I have one and another on the way. Eight second delay on this jewel and 6cm in diameter instead of 5cm as in the V.B. One of my favorite WW1 Grenades. Here is a tad of info from the Delhomme book. Nice grenade John, and icing on the cake is you can declare it an "inkpot" on the customs form! cheers...Dano
PS any markings on yours as some are maker marked. John, if you are a WW1 collector this one fits nicely in your collection. WW1 German grenades and fuzes are what I mainly specialize in.Dano (P.S.) Got my dremel together and am in process of re-doing the famed discus)

QUOTED FROM THE DELHOMME BOOK
Entering service in 1917 this grenade was a direct copy of the French VB. It was used with a removable cup launcher and ball ammunition. It was also internally grooved for fragmentation. It differed from the VB grenade in that the primer exploded inside the central chamber rather than upon exit, and its diameter is larger 6cm instead of 5cm.

Total weight 440 grams of which 36 grams is Tolite; maximum range 180 meters..........

Attachments

• Picture 504.jpg
    Picture 504.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Guy

Sorry, I've been away from this forum for a little while. Dano has summed up the history pretty well. They are not as well made as the French VB which can be little masterpieces with internal fragmentation grooves and a nice brass igniter / detonator.

My inpot is slightly pitted on the outside but has a good insides.

John