What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice unit marked SD50 box

thekees

Found this box lately. A box for 2 SD50 Bombs, full original colors, marked with the red marking (as on the Bomb tails) and unit marked. (JG 55). Complete with the labels attached. Since i have nothing to do with Bombs, it will move to a member who's adding it to his collection, but i want to show the box just for collectors interest.

Attachments

• sd50 001.jpg
    sd50 001.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 101
  • sd50 002.jpg
    sd50 002.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 83
  • sd50 003.jpg
    sd50 003.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 79
Very nice find! I wish said collector on BOCN was me!:tinysmile_twink_t2:

I think i know where this is going and will hopefully be able to study it very soon in person. :)
Thank you for the pictures.

Im thinking the circled '55' is the type of fuze on the bombs and not the bomber unit?

cheers

waff

Last edited:
Waff,

You might very close in this, i guess you'll be able to see it in real time then :tinysmile_twink_t:

Very nice box - superb condition and interesting to see the labels on the inside.
I notice a drawing of the hanging eye - I presume that is to indicate that they have been added to the box?

regards Kev

Kev,

The hanging eye, that's why i posted it here, since in an other tread, about the SD250, there was a reply about the hanging eye on Ebay. I checked the labels, and found this, i guess they where included. Always interesting to see this confirmed on the labels.

Nice box. Why would they put TWO 50kg bombs in one box. I'd have thought that one 50kg per box would be heavy enough for a couple of people to lift around.
Dave.

Waff,

I noticed you remark about the "55". Maybe , but i would espect to see it on the label, or maybe they had bombs in store, and marked the box with the fuse. If you Google on JG 55, you will find a lot of Kg 55, kampf geswader KG 55, and a few hits for jagd geschwader 55 (JG 55). So who knows, interesting to find the answer, but that's why we have a forum:tinysmile_twink_t: also curious about the extention STg behind SD50.

Last edited:
Indeed Mr Kees,a good debate is what its all about. :)
I admire you having a good search round regards the JG55.

Have a look at this thread and you will see why i reckon the 55 is a fuze reference rather than the unit? Note the circled fuze number on my container. :)

Dave,im sure these lads where very strong humping these crates about the bases all day/night..a couple of 50's would be nowt to them!

best

waff

Waff,

Thats interesting, but what tread? this will solve the question directly?
Waht was the purpose of the red markngs, also to be found on the fins? Lately i found a SD10, marked with the red stripes too.

Waff,

Yes, youre right on the spot with this one, now i own you a beer, so let me know when you visit the museum, i'll buy you a good Dutch draft.
Any one more information about the fuzenumber 55,

Waff,

Yes, youre right on the spot with this one, now i own you a beer, so let me know when you visit the museum, i'll buy you a good Dutch draft.
Any one more information about the fuzenumber 55,

No worries friend,just glad to help! :tinysmile_twink_t2:
I believe i will be visiting with a very good forum member and his pals in a couple of weeks or so,i will be in touch by PM.

I think the red stripe denotes the type of filling in the bomb rather than a particular fuze type? I will have to dig out the books but im sure the other lads will have helped me out on that question very soon! :)

As for the type 55,follow this link http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/german-type-55a-t5643.html?t=5643. The 55 would come under the 'impact' category of fuzes.
In the case of the fuze pictured,it is not the fabled 'Y' type fuze.
cheers

waff

Just a thought...........when was the 55 fuze introduced for use??
the box date is 1940 were the 55's issued as early as that?

re hanging eye - I know the eyes were unscrewed and packed in the crates - I believe a transit bolt was used to protect the threads. The hanging eyes would have been assembled by the armourers together with the fitting of fuzes.

I would like to know what the method was of marking boxes with the fuze type........for instance several different fuzes could be used in one bomb type which would depend on the operation, so was it common practice to mark the boxes with specific fuze allocations?? - anyone?

ok, since posting this, and reading a previous link (waff posted) its clear the 55 fuzes were dated from 1940, so I would presume that this would be a box containing bombs to be fuzed with type 55 fuzes, which, at that time had only just been introduced into service??

regards Kev

Last edited:
Well its been a while since ive legged it up to the collection room for a pic this time of night! This great thread is well worth it though!
Here we are,a couple of shots of the Rhs maked 55 dated 1940. :)
We now have proof that Kees box will have had 40 dated 55's.

cheers

waff

Attachments

• S7006842.jpg
    S7006842.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 15
  • S7006845.jpg
    S7006845.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 10
Back from work, so back to work. So i know the purpose of the 55, Thanks for that Waff, It's to mark for the installed type of fuze. Any thoughts about the letters JG?
Next thought, were these bombs supplied to the unit without fuses, and the fuses installed at the unit, depending the mission, would make sence to me. The fuzes have there own transport containers, so it will make sence too, or? This will declare why the fusenumbers are not on the label (but the eyes are, or a transport screw), and the box is marked with the fuses on site.

A lot of discussion about a box,

Kees

Just a thought as JG is not stenciled as the rest of the markings are, could they be the initials of someone who used the box for some other purpose.

Hello,

Could be, although the lettertypes are the same, as the paint color is. Maybe it was used as "travelbox"for one of the members, still i think it has something to do with the orginal content. But who knows?

Kees