What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 102 IIs Fuze

corblimy

I found this fuze while walking in a field close to Ypres in Belgium about 20 years ago. Never taken a lot of notice of it until now. I am unable to find many, if any, references to No102 fuzes. Plenty of info on 106 fuzes ect,
Other markings are:
ZA

5/16(Date?)
10 LOT 21 R< Broad Arrow>L A<Broad Arrow>R

*Broad arrow* refers to the War dept Arrow that is common to military equipment.

I Have been told it was fitted to an 18lb shell, My main question is will it come apart, and if so how!

Hi,

The 102 fuze is just a converted no.100 that had a delay unit incorporated. The reference book says it was used on high explosive shells with steel exploder containers, so exactly which shells I don't know. There's not much to take apart on a no.100, 101 or 102. If you look at the sticky at the top of the fuze section here on the forum called royal laboratory fuze diagrams you'll see a 101 there which will give you an idea how they come apart..... though if you are unsure if any piece of ordnance is 100% inert dont mess with it!

There are signs such as the threads being stripped that suggest to me that the shell it was fitted to, had detonated. However, if you say dont strip then I wont, better safe than sorry I suppose. Thanks for the pointer though, At least I now know what is inside. Back on the shelf it goes:)