What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 147 Fuze

peteblight

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Does anyone have a decent picture of the British No 147 Vickery fuze please?

Cheers

Pete

Norman, is the 147 the production version of Vickery's patent GB131374A?

Tom.

Attachments

• Vickery.jpg
    Vickery.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 46
Norman, is the 147 the production version of Vickery's patent GB131374A?

Tom.

Tom,
The drawing looks identical but I am not sure that the Patent is an exact match because the design drawing dated July 1918 mentions two other/earlier patents (so maybe Vickery's 131374A Patents benefits from some practical experience); I will look the two earlier Patents later. By the way the fuze I photographed is probably pre-production since it only has the VP monogramme on it, not the Number and Mark etc. Herewith a couple of drawing extracts, including an earlier TWD design, for interest and comparison.

[of course the above is a bit pedantic - the easy answer would be 'yes' :)

View attachment No147 part of TWD5368.pdfView attachment No147 Part of TWD6150.pdfView attachment No147 Part of TWD6150-2.pdf

Thank you, Norman, I wasn't after the easy answer. I'd looked up the earlier patents and though the evolution is there, the third patent appeared to be nearer the "production" item - but not quite.

Tom.

Attachments

• GB130091A.jpg
    GB130091A.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 34
  • GB130389A.jpg
    GB130389A.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 31
Thank you, Norman, I wasn't after the easy answer. I'd looked up the earlier patents and though the evolution is there, the third patent appeared to be nearer the "production" item - but not quite.

Tom.

...and I wouldn't have got away with one :) There is some interesting traffic in the Proceedings of the Trench Warfare Department on the Vickery submissions but unfortunately the proceedings do not make the connection to Vickery's patents. It would seem that the 147 was not ready before the end of the war (unless EOD arisings suggest otherwise).

Hi to all
No147 fuze was also mounted on smoke shell !!

An extract from the "Handbook for the 6 pr QF Guns on casemate mounting in 1920."
A question for Francophiles how to translate "spigot" in French
Thank you in advance

Jean Paul

01.jpg02.jpg147.jpg

Hi to all

An extract from the "Handbook for the 6 pr QF Guns on casemate mounting in 1920."
A question for Francophiles how to translate "spigot" in French
Thank you in advance

Jean Paul

View attachment 91194View attachment 91195View attachment 91196

Hello Jean-Paul,

In French we use the word spigot in ordnance laguage for a mortar when the round is over the launcher and not in the tube as a current mortar.
(ex : 20cm Wgr40).
So I assume a spigot fuze is a "female" fuze and not male as current british fuze.

Regards.

Hi to all

Yes, but it was short-lived, the fuze was declared obsolete in January 1923, just four years after its official introduction in January 1919.