What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 162 Mk10

Infanteer

Does anyone know when the No162 Mk10 fuze was in service? I have recently acquired one which is marked on the body "162 Mk 10 43 MY-2-81 MA 79" and the screw cap is stamped MA79. Is 79 the date mark?
IMG_1550a.jpg

Last edited:
According to the document, British fuzes a general introduction, these were first made in 1944. ..

Your 162 Mk10 was made by the Lithgow Munitions factory (MA- New South Wales- Australia) in 1979, It was sent to be filled @ Saint Mary's filling factory (MY- New South Wales- Australia) in 1981, may have been declared obsolete before it was filled. The cap was also made by Lithgow Munitions Factory in 1979.
Interesting that it has turned up in Canada!
Regards Ozzi.

The British Army regularly trains in Canada, but I do not know if Australian Forces did or do.
The Fuze No 162 Mk10 has been used in both Bombs Mortar 3" and 81mm HE and WP.

Thanks for the information guys! Ozziammo, that's what I suspected. The seller thought this was a WW2 fuze and I suspect it was because of the number 43. No idea what that number indicates but I felt confident that it wasn't the year. Thanks for the confirmation.

AE501, I did find some No162 Mk11 caps in the training area at CFB Wainwright (Alberta, Canada) years ago when I was in the army. Clearly it was an old mortar position as there was quite a pile of them. They were marked 77 BN.