What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No.211 MK I mech.time nose fuze, US

Mrfuze

Premium Member
This is the No.211 MK I mech. time fuze, made by the US for the UK (?!) during WW II.
(I would appreciate to know the history of this fuze, if someone knows!
was it used by the US too? and in which guns/projectiles/!)
Enjoy
Mrfuze, USA)

Attachments

• No.211 MK I, 2, US-UK.jpg
    No.211 MK I, 2, US-UK.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 145
211 N (Naval)

Hi MrFuze
I have a 1942 dated 211 N fuze which I believe was made by Vickers Armstrong Engineering Limited and is stamped-

No211 1N VAEL 1942

This Fuze was sent to a Biscuit tin manufacturer in Reading around 1942 as a "Test sample" for making the protective covers that fitted over the body.

It remained stuck at the back of a cupboard in the "Drawing room" where all the tins and Ammunition boxes etc were designed and planned out until the company ceased using the premises in London Street Reading Berkshire in the early 70's where it was then found and given to me as I collected "that sort of junk" !

The fuze is a very solid and intricately made item.

See attached picture.

Attachments

• 211 N  Mk1 VAEL bocn.JPG
    211 N Mk1 VAEL bocn.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 73
Transit Cap for 211 N Fuze

Just to add to Mr Fuzes cutaway of a 211 Fuze, here are a couple of pictures of its transit cap along with the fuze.

Attachments

• 211 A.jpg
    211 A.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 211 DA.JPG
    211 DA.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 211 Cap 1.JPG
    211 Cap 1.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 211 Cap 2.JPG
    211 Cap 2.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 32
Mr Fuze,

What markings are on the fuze?

There was a 208 that used an American made mechanism, as explained below the 211 is really a 208. So if they used an American mechanism in the 208 they could have also used it in the 211.

There was also the 214

Intro 1944. originally proposed as the 208 Mk 3, this was a 208 made in the U.S.A. under Lend-Lease and fitted with a Junghams mechanism made by the Waterbury Clock Company. Obsolete 1956.

The No. 211 fuze was a Naval version of the No. 208 fuze

Intro 1940. Krupp-Thiel, 43 second. Similar to 207 but with a lengthened body to take a detonating magazine instead of being used over a gaine. 34 marks and sub-marks, largely due to the need to have different characteristics for different guns. Obsolete 1950.

Intro 1939. For 3.7 AA guns. 43-second mechanism. A modified pattern to run 71 seconds was developed for Naval use in 1943. obsolete 1941

Mechanical. Intro 1930. Krupp-Thiel 45-second mechanism. Differs from 202 only in having a modified mechanism. Graduated 0-225 in 1/8 second steps. Naval service but used in 5.25 AA guns in Land service.

205 & 204 Not formally introduced

Mechanical. Intro 1921. Exactly the same as the 202 but given a different number as this was for :Land service and it was felt advisable to have separate numbers so that each service could make its own modification without affecting the other. Obsolete 1939. For 9.2 and 12 Coast guns

Intro 1923. As for 200 but with a larger tapered cap. Krupp-Thiel 60-second mechanism. For Naval service.

201 Not introduced

Intro 1922. Krupp-Thiel mechanism, 60 seconds. Virtually a copy of the captured German Dopp.Z.16. 3 marks, obsolete 1939. This was the first successful British clockwork fuze. (There is a reference to early 200s being the DoppZ.16 with an adapter)

Chris,

The biscuit tin manufacturer would be Huntley, Boorne and Stevens monogram HBS

The original company was founded by Joseph Huntley Jnr in 1832. Huntleys father was a biscuit maker who supplied biscuits to people travelling to Bath on the stagecoaches. Due to the delicate nature of the biscuits it was necessary to supply them in tin boxes. The biscuit company later became known as Huntley & Palmers and the tin box company Huntley, Boorne and Stevens They were two separate entities until 1918 when Huntley & Palmers purchased the other concern.

Huntley, Boorne and Stevens.
Tin box manufacturers

London Street, Reading. Berkshire.
Tinworks
TN 4468

Regards

Tim. G.

Fuze , Time, Mechanical, No 211

From some work by Hogg:

" Design NOD4181. Krupp-Thiel mechanism, 43 seconds running time. The naval version of the Fuze No 208, used only with 5.25in AA guns in HM ships. Graduated 00-21. It was fitted with a direct action head in place of the nose cap in 1951 and then became the Fuze, T&P N3. See OB Proc Q6989.

Mark
1 [WOLC paragraph] B5461 of 12/6/1941 Introduction
No record of obsoletion "

Thanks Tim G

Thanks for the additional info Tim G, my father worked for the company in the drawing office for many years and on a few occasions I got to go round the works for a look around and saw production of the old .303 "Tins Inner" for use in the wooden boxes with handles as well as tins for 3 Flares 1" in illuminating.
Also made at some point were Tins for "Flare Trip Wire" about 4" x 4" x 12" and inners for .380 pistol ammunition.

Other projects the company were involved in were "Cable cutting charges" for cutting Helicopter winch cables when the need arose in an emergency situation, Slab Demolition charge containers ( similar to current day but made of tinplate) and a whole lot of other War department items.
A sad for my Dad when HB&S was taken over by the "Metal box Company".

Nice fuze Chris (ane Mr Fuze), beautifully made things.
Dave.

markings on my cutaway

Hi Tim,
the markings on it are as follows: No.211 I N W.C.Co. 1942 LOT 17

Thanks a lot for all the info about it
Mrfuze, USA

Mr Fuze,

W.C.Co. Waterbury Watch Company, CT. USA

Formed March 5, 1857, as a joint stock corporation, the Waterbury Clock Company from its inception was an operation designed to be a major user of brass produced by the parent firm, the Benedict & Burnham Manufacturing Company.

Though this firm became a major clock producer, after 1890 they became a major manufacturer of non-jeweled pocket watches, supplying R. H. Ingersoll & Brother, a major mail order firm.

In 1922, the Waterbury Clock Company purchased the Ingersoll operation whose business had begun to sour after 1910 and had gone bankrupt two years previous because of poor management. Waterbury's operation began to decline and was particularly hard hit by the Great Depression.

By 1932, their huge factory complex was little used. They barely avoided bankruptcy, but the firm was reorganized as the Ingersoll-Waterbury Company with investors raising half a million dollars in new capital. During this period the popular "Mickey Mouse" character watch was made.

After America entered World War II, the Ingersoll-Waterbury Company switched almost 100% to manufacturing war products. In 1942, the operation was purchased by a group of Norwegian investors and a new factory was built at Middlebury, CT. In 1944, the firm became known as United States Time Corporation and introduced the popular "Timex" watch shortly after the war. In November, 1969, U.S. Time was succeeded by Timex Corporation, which continues business at Middlebury, CT.

Regards

Tim