What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 36 MK1

Hi Paul,

you could be right there, strange why they went against the norm though. The 5 holes came in for drill grens in late 1936 and i would think this would have been adhered to as a set military standard but who knows.

Thanks,

Andy

I tend to agree with Paul on this one. Paul's grenade does look like an authentic well worn training grenade. In my collection I have two Galt's one with no holes and the other like Pauls with holes in the identical place. If this was due to disarming the holes would be more random. Here's a photo of mine which at some stage has been repainted. I'm tempted to repaint it white now.

John

Attachments

• SSCN2603.JPG
    SSCN2603.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 22

I don't know who to agree on this one, and actually it makes absolutely no difference to me. It leaves no question as to whether or not the body is original, and that does make a difference to me. Kind of caught on in the middle of this as I am doing more work on #5 downstairs than originally planned, as in re-shaping frag lugs...Dano

An Aussi "Drill" contribution - no doubt liberated before destruction. Five holes is the count....Rod

Attachments

• Dummy36M.jpg
    Dummy36M.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 17
  • DummyBase.jpg
    DummyBase.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DummyLever.jpg
    DummyLever.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 17
Budget collecting

Finally the day will be here in the next week or so that i'll be able to finish my No36 Mk1 Mills bomb. It goes back a few months when i bought the 36 body off SA, then ordered an original base plug and repop handle, pin, ring and innerds. there was a mix-up at the place where I ordered the finishing parts so I never got them. Well i think I got that oversight cleared up today and should be able to finish soon. A lot of my stuff I have to piece together as I am on a limited income and it gives me a way to make a perfectly displayable piece for a lot less outlay of credits. I don't have a problem making these "mutt" grenades. For one thing I never have to wonder if I got ripped off as I know my parts are not a factory match, and many times a factory match can be paid for and not received (if you know what I mean). I am not real persnickity when it comes to that. My 36 will have the original body, an unmatching original base plug (WWII dated) and the balance will be repop. I'm okay with that. I have traded with bOCN members to get parts to finish an otherwise incomplete grenade or piece of ordnance. I have had BOCN members send me for free pieces to finish a piece, but I always make sure I send something in return to say thanks. Collecting on a shoestring budget can be fun and rewarding when a long running project finally reaches completion. I have been trading with SMLE2009 for such pieces. He likes the small arms ammo, which I do not, and we always seem to be able to work a deal. thanks a million Tony. I guess my point here is you don't necessarily have to lay out a ton of cash to build at least a modest collection. I also like buying/swapping for "relic" pieces, and may or may not restore them (all depends how cool piece is as is or if in my mind I can make it better with a little restoration). Oops I got way off track here, but will display pics of finished No36 Mk1 when parts finally show up on doorstep (or mail lady may just throw them in yard)!!! Truly ..Dano

Last edited:
I have since checked mine inside and out. Looking good. No signs of welding. While we're here............I am after 2 x Kenrick and Sons (K) base plugs for no 36M MK1. Good threads are a must! Anyone got any they wish to sell?
I will be your best friend (or gimp depending on condtion)...........:)

Last edited:
36 done

Well the parts ofr the 36 Mk1 showed up today and it is finished..Dan

Attachments

• Picture 207.jpg
    Picture 207.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 16
Thanks

Thankyou Jeeeensy, slickrick and pointblank0, I think it displays really well and having your well respected opinions helps in validation. It is now one of the favorites in my collection. Thanks for the kind remarks gentlemen, it does not go unappreciated....Dano

Last edited: