What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 56

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
I have some questions on these fuzes. This one is listed as the NO. 56 MK I

The next one is just the NO 56. What is the differences between them, and does anyone have cutaways or manual images of them?

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-JV-10-3.jpg
    ICE-JV-10-3.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 74
  • ICE-JV-33-4.JPG
    ICE-JV-33-4.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 59
Hello,

This fuze is very different the No56 MkIV I know.
It could be the fuze on the doc without designation N°.
Regards

mk2.jpg

I think it is the Fuze No 52. Probably the first Fuze to br alloted a number when the scheme was introduced.

As Bonnex said, the fuze of my doc was designated No52 but not 100% it's your fuze. The 52 seems to be made with soft metal (lead).

No52 :

52 1.jpg52.jpg52 2.jpg

A variant No53 :

ss.jpgarm.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I have checked Lists of Changes for the descriptions of the 52 Mark I and the Mark II and both of them use that ghastly lead alloy.

Joe,

I have been looking for information on this fuze. You will appreciate that this is a commencial fuze by Armstrong. There were three sizes (small, medium and large). The UK took the small (numbered it 53) and the medium (52) but not the large fuze. The fuzes differ in the time of burning and can probably be distinguised by the graduations which are 5.8 (or 14.65 seconds) for the Large Fuze, 4.9 (or 11 seconds) for the Medium Fuze and 4.2 (or 8 seconds) for the Small Fuze.

I wondered if you might have a 'Large Fuze', and/or a Fuze submitted for consideration by US Ordnance. To that end I tried to see if it features in the US Annual Reports of the Chief of Ordnance. The good news is that Fuze, Combination, Armstrong [description and test] appears in the 1891 report on page 733. The bad news is that this volume is missing in my set. I couldn't locate it on the internet.

So if you have access to a copy of the 1891 report complete with its appendices I would be interested to hear if the article is related to the same fuze and if that fuze is all brass.

Thanks

Last edited: