What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 68 AT gren

navyman

Hello,
I've just bought a relic No 68 A/T grenade, (inert/drill), Mk 1. 1942.
I know these were probably the first to use a hollow shaped charge and could penetrate 2" of armour.
Due to the severe corrosion on two of the fins it may prove too difficult for me to restore, so it will either stay as a relic or I may choose to section it.
Have any of you grenadiers a drawing or picture of a sectioned one?
Any info welcome,
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• No 68 AT 1.jpg
    No 68 AT 1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 31
  • No 68 AT 2.jpg
    No 68 AT 2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 27
Thanks Paul,
Thats a very nice job on the 68. Mine is soaking in WD 40 at the moment so that I can get inside and see if there are any internals remaining. For starters; Does anyone have a safety pin and lable!
Cheers,
Guy.

I once saw one of these brand new, never filled and fully strippable, straight out of the factory, and with the safety tag at a car boot sale. The worst thing is, it was when I was at school and 20 was a lot of money. Even so, I still kick myself for not buying it. I had the cash on me as well, but didnt want to spend all the money I had for the rest of that month in one go!

Hello Falcon,
I can sympathise with you, Over twenty years ago I sold a German WW1 flare pistol, a lovely original Tower Muzzle loading rifle, and amongst other pieces a Queen Anne cannon barrel turn off pistol and an original 577/45 Falling block rifle. All for 100.00! I'm still kicking myself.
Cheers,
Guy.

hi navy man.
im afraid you wont find much inside the drill gren.
just a thick bakelite tube and a solid mazak dome shaped filling piece to give it weight and thats it!:tinysmile_cry_t:
paul.