What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 80 Mk VII VSM Fuse - Lot number query

Tranter

Hi Everyone, I have a question regarding the lot numbers stamped on the body of a 1918 dated VSM manufactured No80 Mk VII T & P fuse. It has two lot numbers, namely 252 which is scored out by a line through it and replaced by 42. I can't think of a reason for this other than the fuse being in storage for a long while and then being returned to the factory (or a factory other than Vickers) to be refurbished prior to re-issue. Has anyone any thoughts on this? Has anyone come across this before?
I wouldn't have thought that fuses that were being manufactured for the war effort would have hung around long enough to warrant their return for refurb as presumably once manufactured they would have been on their way to the front, virtually straight away judging by the amount of 13 & 18 Pdr shrapnel shells that were expended!
any help/thoughts appreciated - many thanks, Steve