What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No good with computers needs help

pzgr40

Premium Member
At home I have this incomplete cutaway model of a BLU-66B/B, of which he tail is missing. I have been looking and asking for years , but without result.
So, last week I read this add of a 3D printing company, showing their stuff;
http://www.ridix.nl/3d-printing-service-c-368.html
It sounded like a good idea to me to print the cutaway of the tail, so I drew it in ACAD 3D.
This company however wants it's files as a .stl , either a .wrl, my drawing is a .dwg
I have tried to download the conversion program, but somehow it does not seem to work, as well as the fact that I am a complete nitwit as where it comes to computers.

Who can help me to convert a .dwg into a .stl , either a .wrl.

Thanks in advance,
Regards, DJH

Attachments

• staart blu.JPG
    staart blu.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 36
Problem has been solved :) thanks to one of our Dutch members
Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Excellent model!!!

In ACAD, you can save it directly /export it to a .stl file via the "STLOUT" cmd - only for 3D modeling objects.

Yes I had numerous "challenges" attempting to use the traditional metal fabrication workshops, pattern makers & even tool makers etc - apart from the usual mega $$$ quoted and "it's too hard" responses, decided to use 3D printing:

This is only a prototype as I'm still not convince that the one and only drawing of the C/84 pistol is accurate. There is a special paint to "chrome plate" the 3D plastic and it looks very good!

The other option would be to print half a section and use the traditional casting method - at least in 3D printing one can easily cut a 4 mm thickness vane in half to 2 mm - try doing that with wood!

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• IMAG0296.jpg
    IMAG0296.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMAG0297.jpg
    IMAG0297.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0301.jpg
    IMAG0301.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 27
  • fuse 3 .jpg
    fuse 3 .jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I have tried the STLOUT function and it ssems to work. I posted the file to the collector with the printer and asked him if his printer could read it. So now I am waiting for the awnser.
Thanks for the great tip.
Regards, DJH