What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No117 III FUZE

W

ww1grenades

I JUST RECENTLY OBTAINED A NUMBER OF BRASS CASINGS FOR THE L15 105mm ABBOT SP GUN SOME STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL STENCILLING ON THEM I ALSO GOT A FUZE WITH THEM THE MARKINGS ARE ( No117 III 4-38 RL ) IS THIS THE CORRECT FUZE FOR THESE .
THANKS SHAUN

Attachments

• PICT0029.jpg
    PICT0029.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 70
Regarding the stencilling on the 105mm cases - it would appear to be original.
The one in view was assembled as part of Lot number 070A at ROF Glascoed in August 1979. The large letters and numerals indicate the propellant type (NQ = a triple based propellant comprising Nitroguanidine if my memory serves me right)

THANKS FOR THAT MATE THEY ALSO HAVE WROTE IN MARKER ON THE OTHER SIDE (P2 CH.S.) ALL ARE MARKED SLIGHTLY DIFFERANT IN MARKER ALSO SOME HAVE WRITEN ( 2xMK9 COPPERS 76-4/76-5 ) AND SOME OF THE ORIGINAL STENCILLING HAS BEEN SCRIBBLED OUT
THANKS SHAUN

Shaun sounds like you may have cases that were used for some sort of trial as quote--
"2xMK9 COPPERS 76-4/76-5 ) AND SOME OF THE ORIGINAL STENCILLING HAS BEEN SCRIBBLED OUT"

Coppers can be pressure test indicators which are specially sized bars or plugs of copper that are put in with the proppelant or fitted to the gun in a small recess next to the case, and when the gun is fired the "coppers" are slightly compressed and afterwards they can then be measured again and a calculation will reveal the pressure within the system, when put in with the proppellant they sometimes get ejected from the gun and are never seen again!
If your cases have small holes in the side then they will have been fired from a "Pressure housing".
Also the fact that the stencilling has been tampered with would also indicate some type of test may have been carried out using them.
Nice items.

Thanks for the input mate theres no sign of any holes in them . I used the sp abbot when i was in germany and canada so im looking at completeing a couple of them with all the other parts like safety caps the bung etc would you leave them as they are or polish them mate .
Thanks shaun

May the fuze be for a 25pdr light gun . Thanks for that site mate

thanks shaun

Please dont polish !

Thanks for the input mate theres no sign of any holes in them . I used the sp abbot when i was in germany and canada so im looking at completeing a couple of them with all the other parts like safety caps the bung etc would you leave them as they are or polish them mate .
Thanks shaun

NO.in a word do NOT polish them as that destroys a unique history of where and when filled as exat808 said-it is of course a matter of personal prefference but most collectors like to keep their items as near to original as possible and if you get a projectile for one then you may also like to keep that as original so the two parts match!
That is IMHO - only mind!
Your fuze as Spotter says would be for items like 25 pounder and 5.5 in HE shells but the 105mm system uses new fuzes with different threads and functions. ("L" series fuzes).

One final point if you ever decide to sell your collection it will command a better price if in original condition complete with all its relevant stencils.
Good hunting.

yes i agree mate im only going to keep two of them and the fuze im going to try and complete aswell as i trained on the 25 PDR IN THE J.L.R.R.A IN BRAMCOTE . SO IF ANYONE HAS THE OTHER PARTS WILL BE INTERESTED IN BUYING OR SWAPPING PLEASE PM ME

THANKS SHAUN