What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No15 cricket ball grenade

Spitace41

Hi, I have a no15 cricket ball grenade. Has anyone got any info on their employment, better still soldiers testemonies of their usage? Are they at all rare? I have not seen another for sale. Cheers.

Attachments

• ebay james's lot 027.jpg
    ebay james's lot 027.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 145
Hi.
The No 15 is a fairly common grenade that turns up for sale every now and then. They were for catapult use but could be easlily hand thrown. The fuze used was the brock igniter which was notoriously unreliable and accounts of the battle of loos say they failed to light in the damp weather:tinysmile_cry_t4: and the grenades littered the bottom of the trenches where the soldiers had disgarded them. The oval No 16 was no better as it used the same fuze.
Paul.

NOMENCLATURE: Grenade, Hand, No.15 (The Ball Pattern)

SERVICE: Land

TYPE: Hand, Catapult or Spring gun, Fragmentation, Time

FILLED WEIGHT: 1 lb 6 ozs

EXPLOSIVE CONTENT AND WT OF EXPLOSIVE: 4.5 ozs Ammonal or Blastine

PRINCIPAL DESIGN FEATURES: A plain spherical cast iron body fitted with a large closing plug to which is fitted the igniter holder. the igniter assembly is covered by a lead cup with tear‑off tape and comprises a Brock lighter with safety fuse (9 sec delay) and detonator No.08 for spring gun use, or for hand use. the igniter set is the same as for the No's. 8 or 9 grenades (5 sec delay)

MARK 1 Introduced June 1917... Obsolete July 1920

Attachments

• no-15.jpg
    no-15.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 91
#15 cricket ball

In Sept. 1915 the Loos offensive was launched. The No. 15 ball pattern or cricket ball was intended to play an important role in an attempt to breach German defenses. Not only was the offensive unsuccessful but the failure of the grenade nearly led to disaster. In the rain about 18 out of every 20 of the #15 failed. Originally designed to meet an urgent demand in the Dardanelles, where grenades were needed quickly. September production went over 200,000 a week. The #15 is 3 inches in diameter, internally segmented, with either a 5 or 9 second fuse, the latter intended for use with catapults and bomb throwers. Both used a Brock matchhead igniter, struck against an arm brassard to light. In the Dardanelles where the weather was dry the #15 was successful, leading to the thinking it would be ideal in France. But the weather was wet and and gave the "Loos Ball" its image as a failure. Replaced by the #16 oval pattern Which was considered to be an easier throwing grenade but suffered the same fate as the #15 as it used the same ignition system

Have anyone sections on of this? I would love to se the internally segment on one.

Cheers

As it happens im just finishing a sectioned No15 But im afraid to say it is smooth on the inside. No frags like the No16:tinysmile_angry2_t:
I'll post a pic when its painted.
Paul.

Does that mean that the frags are just a fairytale? Like Dano I to have read that the no15 should be frag inside. Any one else witch have any experiment with this?
The knob on the top is that one a bolt or is it machined onto the lid?
Looking forward to see yours when it is finish Paul

Cheers

sectioned number 15

heres my latest handywork. nothing to complex here.
the det well is made from 2 copper fuze covers glued together.
no sign of any frag matrix inside :tinysmile_cry_t:
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• SectionedNo15.jpg
    SectionedNo15.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 103
Not many grenades were internally segmented though the French VB comes to mind. My No 15 is smooth inside, just like all Kugals.

John

FILLED WEIGHT: 1 lb 6 ozs

EXPLOSIVE CONTENT AND WT OF EXPLOSIVE: 4.5 ozs Ammonal or Blastine

Sorry to revive an old thread but I have a question...

I'm assuming the "FILLED WEIGHT: 1 lb 6 ozs" means that the weight of the explosive content is included - right?

correct "filled weight" means as it says "filled" ,with explosive or other compositions depending on the type of ordnance ..as in not an empty casting