What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No17 Fuze in SC1000??

pippins

Hi,

I just wanted to ask anyone if they knew of any Sc1000s turning up with No17 fuzes, I have read that none have been found since 1941. Also how realistic would it be for a No17 fuze to start "ticking" again after nearly 70 years underwater. I am currently serving in 33 Regt and cannot seem to get any decent answers.

Hi pippins,

Have a look in the `new posts` section here and you will find that article from The Daily Mirror about that bomb found in the East End of London this week.
I bet that was a 17 in the bomb?

cheers

waff

The personnel who dealt with this I assume have pictures and evidence! As you are part and parcel of the RE organisation a better answer would come from them.

I cant find any reference to the 17 been used as standard in the sc1000 ,only EIAZ types 25 and 55 ,but i suppose they could have been occasionaly used to cause problems for BD personnel
I am not qualified to answer this question technically,,, but as for 70 years of submersion,i suppose if its been laid in silt it would be sealed and preserved ,but even if corrosion as taken place its likely to be even more sensitive,,one of the reasons only professionals with full training should go near this stuff

I have dealt with many items of old munitions large and small as an EOD operator and can say that looting or equivalent used on the threads as a lub and for protection does prevent ageing and keep the inside in somewhat perfect condition. Therefore, coming up against old munitions is very dangerous! One of my encounters was the Profile picture (1000lb Bomb) Oh, why do I do it...must be the professional training.