What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No5 MKI restoration

I've decided to do some work on the No5 MK1 to get it looking a little better (in my opinion). The pic is grenade as is now. I plan to run through the grooves with a 3/32 inch die grinder to better pronounce the fragmentation lugs, then coat it with some satin black. Will post pics tomorrow of finished grenade as I have to go get the grinder and am out of satin blk. Any better idea on paint appreciated......Dano

Attachments

• Picture 150.jpg
    Picture 150.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 29
how about a nice coat of shelac varnish then a red band around the top and a pink band round the middle.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

primer

That sounds good Paul. But since i've cut the grooves I need to come up with a good base coat. Going downstairs now to put in primer. Any recommendations for basecoat under bands? Dano

hi mate
i would put the shelac over bare metal! but tint the shellac a little with some dark brown paint.
Ive done this with a no 36 (relic) and it dosnt look 'new' as black paint does.
might post a pic later if thats any good.

I wouldnt use a grinder thou!! you might run the risk of damaging the surface.
What about dipping it in some rust remover over night?
there has been plenty of chat about rust removal in previous threads..
Doug

hi mate
i would put the shelac over bare metal! but tint the shellac a little with some dark brown paint.
Hi all,

the shellac they used during the First world War was in fact coloured not with brown paint but good old simple tumeric.
Receipe was as follows.

shellac 8oz
tumeric 8 0z
methylated spirit 1 gallon imperial.

This was applied hot and the gren was heated in a stove till cooked.

Ime sure that you could knock something similar up using the same proportions Dano.

Andy

Base coat

Well gents, that wraps it up, I now have the recipe for my basecoat. The frag cutting went great, 5 is now in primer and really smokes. My camera is down and the little woman just had me load the smoker with hamburgers and butternut squash so I be a bit tied up right now (literally). Am headed for supplies in morning and won't post pic till it's done. I usually don't mess with the relics but think this one will be good...Dano

hi mate
Hi all,

the shellac they used during the First world War was in fact coloured not with brown paint but good old simple tumeric.
Receipe was as follows.

shellac 8oz
tumeric 8 0z
methylated spirit 1 gallon imperial.

This was applied hot and the gren was heated in a stove till cooked.

Ime sure that you could knock something similar up using the same proportions Dano.

Andy

good one mate
didnt know that.
ive used shellac from 'the range' in small little tubs by the company 'faber' i think they make stationary too..??
its quite thin and a golden colour,dries quick too but a little too glossy for my liking so i usually give it a little rub with very fine paper.

Ive known folk use wood 'knotting' as its just about the same effect.

doug

Attachments

• various 007.jpg
    various 007.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 34
mo mix

Wee a little frustration set in after I tried mixing brown paint with shellac. the paing "balled up" and would not mix to save my life. So went ahead and painted it semi-gloss black after cutting groooves. Here's where i'm at now. May strip it off and experiment more with shellac? Dano

Attachments

• Picture 159.jpg
    Picture 159.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 38
that looks fine mate
apologies due to you though!
made a mistake sorry.

what i remember i did was paint browning colour under the shellec coat!
sorry mate.

shelac is mostly transparent so it shows through.
I then coated it with a wash (diluted brown paint) to give it an aged look.
sorry for the confusion.

you could go over the black with a diluted brown tone if you wanted to though??
you could always use just a golden brown varnish maybe,
i dont think there is a strict science to it as long as YOU are happy with it that what matters.
doug

OD

Aah, I think that'll work 18 pounder. Will have to strip all paint off first. My latest stab was a few coats of ultra flat dark olive drab. Well, it's better than the black anyway..Dano

Attachments

• Picture 162.jpg
    Picture 162.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 21
Hi Dano,

how about just putting on shellac diluted with a little meths. I found a couple of coats seemed fine and it should look great. Did need the meths though as the neat shellac was a little thick.

Andy

lac

I may give that a try Andy, I'm pretty happy with the olive drab as the basecoat so just may shellac over that. Best..Dano

Hi Dano,

well, original grens were not painted green first, just a coat of shellac to stop the rust. I suspect they werent that well painted either as there wasnt a returns policy as their shelf live was expected to be a bit short if you know what i mean. I would give the tumeric and meths a try, i reccon you will be pleasantly suprised.

Andy

Done

I spent a few days and some work but I now have the NO5 exactly where I like it. I stripped all paint efforts and put on 3 coats of semi-gloss black, let the paint dry a full day then wet sanded the "high spots" with 400 grit paper. I'm happy with it, no shellac that's it. Still waiting on NO36 parts, which by the way has the 2 holes welded shut, which does not bother me in the least ....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 163.jpg
    Picture 163.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I spent a few days and some work but I now have the NO5 exactly where I like it. I stripped all paint efforts and put on 3 coats of semi-gloss black, let the paint dry a full day then wet sanded the "high spots" with 400 grit paper. I'm happy with it, no shellac that's it. Still waiting on NO36 parts, which by the way has the 2 holes welded shut, which does not bother me in the least ....Dano

cool beans mate
looks good,and as long a your happy thats all that matters

18pounder