What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No77 grenade Mk2 picture details

BMG50

Premium Member
Anyone have a picture, drawing details of the No77 grenade MK2 and markings etc non WP. Any one know it's history. many thanks.

Thats interesting marking writing very similar to the Mk1. i assume the other side would have a date and lot number etc? Would these have the later 247 Mk3 fuze or just normal Mk2. I noticed with Robs Mk1 and Mk2, as i recall with a different stamped smaller lettering. and some of the early Mk1 of the type shown was over painted and re marked, most probably a refurbish make over. I assume WP was checked more often due to the content.

Attachments

• 83CBBF85-FA80-4E00-9DEB-C2F5F179CEAB.jpg
    83CBBF85-FA80-4E00-9DEB-C2F5F179CEAB.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 139EA088-8778-41E2-BD65-73255399F310.jpg
    139EA088-8778-41E2-BD65-73255399F310.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
The reverse of the grenade had 5MB (Letters joined) and the date 6/43.

The official introduction date was January 1943 and the nomenclature states the Mk II was only used for training - fuze type not stated.

Thats interesting 5MB MB must be a code or makers monologue or mark i assume.

The reverse of the grenade had 5MB (Letters joined) and the date 6/43.

The official introduction date was January 1943 and the nomenclature states the Mk II was only used for training - fuze type not stated.

MB - monogram of Metal Box Company

5 M. B. - Metal Box Co., E. C. Barlow & Sons, Hackney, London.

10 M. B. - Metal Box Co., Henry Grant, Boutle, Bermondsey, SE1

TimG

Thats interesting, so the number would i assume be a location code, were there other numbers?

1 M. B. - Metal box Co., Atkin's Branch. (F. Atkins & Co., Ltd), Hull.

2 M. B. - Metal box Co., Robinson branch, Hull.

3 M. B. - Metal Box Co., Barclay & Fry. (Printing works), London. SE1.

4 M. B. - Metal Box Co., Portslade Factory.

6 M. B. - Metal Box Co., Barringer, Wallis & Manners, Mansfield, Notts.

9 M. B. - Metal Box Co., Manchester Factory.

11 M. B. - Metal Box Co., Hodgsons, Newcastle.

12 M. B. - Metal Box Co., Hudsons, Scott & Sons, Carlisle (Milk can) factory.

13 M. B. - Metal Box Co., (E. C. Barlow & Sons. Palmers Green Factory.), London.

14 M. B. - Metal Box Co., G. H.Williamsons. Worcester.

15 M. B. - Metal Box Co., West Glamorgan, Clydbech.

16 M. B. - Metal Box Co., Cork Eire(?)

30 M. B. - Metal Box Co., Neath Factory. Neath.

TimG

No77 mk2.jpg
This is my one. Been poorly welded (filling holes on the side) at some point and repainted but what's the thread in the base for?

Didnt know that there were that many. Were these all for different grenades they made or other things or components to make up a grenade?

1 M. B. - Metal box Co., Atkin's Branch. (F. Atkins & Co., Ltd), Hull.

2 M. B. - Metal box Co., Robinson branch, Hull.

3 M. B. - Metal Box Co., Barclay & Fry. (Printing works), London. SE1.

4 M. B. - Metal Box Co., Portslade Factory.

6 M. B. - Metal Box Co., Barringer, Wallis & Manners, Mansfield, Notts.

9 M. B. - Metal Box Co., Manchester Factory.

11 M. B. - Metal Box Co., Hodgsons, Newcastle.

12 M. B. - Metal Box Co., Hudsons, Scott & Sons, Carlisle (Milk can) factory.

13 M. B. - Metal Box Co., (E. C. Barlow & Sons. Palmers Green Factory.), London.

14 M. B. - Metal Box Co., G. H.Williamsons. Worcester.

15 M. B. - Metal Box Co., West Glamorgan, Clydbech.

16 M. B. - Metal Box Co., Cork Eire(?)

30 M. B. - Metal Box Co., Neath Factory. Neath.

TimG

Metal Box made all manner of items, some ordnance related, some totally unrelated.

TimG

There is a tale, most likely apocryphal, that when the Ministry of Supply were looking for manufacturers of a new anti-tank mine during WWII, one of Metal Box's biscuit tin manufacturers informed the MoS if they slightly modified one of the dimensions, they could use one of their tins.

TimG

Last edited:
I wonder what mine that was? Although their paint logo marking is MB joined together is their tin stamping the same. I assume they invented the tin screw thread seen to fit the 247 fuze, i would be interested how they done that obviously not using a form of tap or die.

Not sure how they filled a smoke especially WP but it most probably a better filling method to use with this cap. Not sure if the intention is to add another, you would have to have a male double ended adaptor. Normally they compress a smoke compound into the casing such as a 2" mortar and crimp up the end. With a WP 2" its just a charged tin full with WP inserted into a 2" casing and the bursting charge is a normal 2" fuze.
In the drawing there seems to be no black powder flash ignitor compound to start the FM smoke compound usually seen in most smoke, unless its some other form of WP that works with a detonator that bursts open the smoke to the air. I wondered how this would work in this particular grenade

The thread is the same as the normal thread on the 'operational' end. I.e in theory you could fit two 247 fuzes to a Mk II.