What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No80 Phos sectioned restoration

millsbomber

Premium Member
Went to the Stoneleigh show yesterday and found a few bits and this was one of them, Traded a No80 lever and some dosh with Friendly Patrick for it,

HPIM8402.jpg HPIM8403.jpg

It had been through the wars a bit but could see some potential in it and had all the bits to make good, cleaned out the old plaster what was left.

HPIM8404.jpg HPIM8405.jpg

on the way home stopped of at another BOCN members house and he found some bee's wax that i could use as the filler, remember not too much is needed.

HPIM8406.jpg

Got a metal pot and melted some of the wax into it with Oxy Act torch, i found it very workable but for god sake don't get it on your skin it holds its heat more than candle wax, i just pored into the body until it reached the det holder trying to keep the body central.

HPIM8407.jpg

allow to just start to solidifie

HPIM8408.jpg

now turn and pore on one side again adjusting the angle and trying to not fill the det tube up allow to harden slightly before doing other side

HPIM8409.jpg HPIM8410.jpgHPIM8411.jpg

any bits that would not fill up just use some of the left over wax in the pot and put on any areas that require more wax, don't worry too much as less is better and you can just add as needed.

HPIM8412.jpg

i have a small blow torch that uses lighter gas so i just slowly heat where you want the wax to run to, always pointing out away from the wax, slowly does it and in small patches, the wax will be marked all over but dont worry just wait to harden then go over all the surface and it will be really smooth if done in one go.

HPIM8413.jpg

here is the other bits i had and how i made the rest of it, the red stuff in the det is Newplast, placticen to call it in layman's terms.

HPIM8414.jpgHPIM8417.jpgHPIM8415.jpgHPIM8418.jpgHPIM8419.jpgHPIM8420.jpg

Here it is finished next to the No77, now please let me have your thoughts if i should re do the No77,,,,,, Dave

HPIM8421.jpg

Dave . Stunning piece of work . Absolutely top notch . Thanks for showing it . Mike.

What I like is that it is all reversible if you decided to redo it another way or if it took a fall, easily fixed and nearly edible with bees wax !

Nice work Dave. I like the use of Beeswax as it can easily be removed, renovated etc. John

Good job Dave. Hope you found a wartime No 2 Striker Mech lever. We talked about the variations, the No 1 Striker Mech was made for the No 86 Grenade it would seem.

a great restoration Dave, well done. can you make out what all the markings say?
look forward to seeing the 77 finished.
cheers, Paul.

Very nice Dave, looks great. How was the show Grenade wise ?

I got only these bit's Tony and cold feet, the Gibbon's Mill's i had to pick up there brought from SA, nice all matching marks, the small card tube is the book switch which was a present :tinysmile_fatgrin_t the No5 i did not have the body marking in the collection , Friendly Patrick done me a good price (60) on that but he wire brushed it and removed most of the original paint :tinysmile_cry_t4: the rectifier i did not have a example of that one but im thinking it might be a repro now, the plastic does not feel right, the assortment of bits why i brought them i will never know maybe handy one day i hope and the always fuse is for some one else but i see lots of items and meet loads of collectors and dealers so it was a good show for me,,,,, Dave

HPIM8423.jpg

Good job Dave. Hope you found a wartime No 2 Striker Mech lever. We talked about the variations, the No 1 Striker Mech was made for the No 86 Grenade it would seem.

Picture of the markings Norman, wow that's great news about the striker, so you now need another No86 Body, don't look at me for one,,,, Dave

HPIM8424.jpgHPIM8425.jpg

a great restoration Dave, well done. can you make out what all the markings say?
look forward to seeing the 77 finished.
cheers, Paul.

The markings are a little worst for wear Paul but i will try to make them out.

WB 8 No80
843 PHOS
AWO 7-44
LOT No65?

Just done a little work on the No77, cap and dummy det.,,,,,, Dave

HPIM8426.jpg

Hi, sorry to trouble you.
But may I know some detail size data about the fuse base and body of No80 WP.
It can not be shipped oversea, So what can I do is only making model with 3D print ;(.
I almost get some measurement, but have no way to get the size data in the graph as follow.

80wp1.PNG

80wp.PNG