What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No9 L-Delay Switch

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Attached are images of a no9 L-Delay switch i have finished cutting today, I recieved this in very poor overall condition as can be seen in the image showing it opened up during stripping down..

these used a lead element which stretches over time whilst under tension,a lead rod is connected to the striker at one end along with a spring that is connected to the lower part of the casing.This causes the spring to stretch under tension ,once the safety pin is removed the pulling of the spring causes the lead to stretch until it breaks ,this then releases the striker which flies forward into the percussion cap initiating the explosive charge it is connected to,,
they came with preset delays o f 1, 6, 12, 24 hours,also 3, 7, 14 and 28 day delays,
over 5 million of these were produced by MD1

a more detailed page describing method of operation is attached

Attachments

• L-delay 1.jpg
    L-delay 1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 150
  • L-delay 2.jpg
    L-delay 2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 134
  • L-delay 3.jpg
    L-delay 3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 196
  • L-Delay 4.jpg
    L-Delay 4.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 177
  • L-delay 5.jpg
    L-delay 5.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 206
  • L-delay 6.jpg
    L-delay 6.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Looks really good Spotter - Interesting to see how well an item will clean up with a bit of patience and TLC.

Cheers

Switch

Great posts. As a gap filler because I can’t find any real ones, I'm going to make a couple of dummy reproductions over Christmas. Please could somebody let me have accurate dimensions of the main tube (I’ve seen different lengths quoted), the overall length of the snout that protrudes from the tube and the size of the tag/label?
And what would be great would be a nice clear scan of the labels so I can print these on plastic.
Thanks
Paul

Great posts. As a gap filler because I can’t find any real ones, I'm going to make a couple of dummy reproductions over Christmas. Please could somebody let me have accurate dimensions of the main tube (I’ve seen different lengths quoted), the overall length of the snout that protrudes from the tube and the size of the tag/label?
And what would be great would be a nice clear scan of the labels so I can print these on plastic.
Thanks
Paul

a very large amount of these were dug up here in the uk a couple of years ago and are often for sale on ebay or quickfire auctions.
heres a link to the ones on quickfire http://www.quickfireauctions.co.uk/categories.php?category=soe-ordnance&parent_id=1911