What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Normandy beach ordance

traveler

Found this on Sword/Juno beach near the water in 1970. For reference in the photo, it's about 2.5 inches in diameter, about 5 inches long, tail end is splayed out from detonation but front end still fairly intact. Very interested to know after all these years what this is and who fired it.
Thanks.

Attachments

• OrdnanceNormany.jpg
    OrdnanceNormany.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 121
I was thinking the same, but have looked at many photos of British and German mortar rounds and have not seen anything with such a flat front end...

Definately looks like the back part of a 2inch HE where the tail screws on,the part that looks like a pin is the rotted/blown threaded section to attach the tail unit

Attachments

• 2in High explosive mortar round.jpg
    2in High explosive mortar round.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 35
That's it !!

Yes, that has to be it ! Finally, after 30 years of proudly displaying it I can tell people what it is. Am I safe in assuming this is a British weapon ?
Well Done ! Thank you.

yes British ,also used by other allied forces including canada which if im remembering the dday beaches correctly will fit in with where you found it