What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northern Territory,Australia debris

kahu1

Premium Member
On a recent trip to the Darwin region i managed to visit a few of the old airstrips and campsite used during ww2.some of the debris from WW2 still scattered around the ozzie bush.
Cheers Bob.

Attachments

• 4lb incendiary.jpg
    4lb incendiary.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 156
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 155
On a recent trip to the Darwin region i managed to visit a few of the old airstrips and campsite used during ww2.some of the debris from WW2 still scattered around the ozzie bush.
Cheers Bob.

Many thanks for the pictures Bob, brought back happy memories from a while back!
I was lucky enough to visit Darwin myself as a backpacker a number of years ago. What a lot of people don't realise is that Darwin was actually under attack from the Japanese and that the threat of invasion was very high during the second World War. Hence the building of the Stuart Highway, from Alice Springs north. As you travel along this highway, at various points, (in the middle of nowhere), there are various markers with the names of airbases that were operational defending the country. The airstrips were right next to the road itself. Unfortunatly didn't get the chance to explore myself, and you don't want to go rummaging about too much in that part of the world, lots of things want to bite you out there!! Did find a few .303 cases around the bay of Darwin itself. I recall the Japanese sank a ship just offshore, there is a gun recovered on shore that points to the wreck as a memorial. Didn't hang around too long on the shoreline either, learnt on my travels that saltwater crocs (the big ones) are frequently fished out of Darwin harbour and relocated in remote areas of the Northern Territory!! All that said great country, well worth a visit.

regards
Kev

Last edited: