What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nuclear Projectiles

8in projectile nuc.jpghere is the M 424, and another training round (gold one to right - was not to be fired, ratehr used by artillery crews to practice asssemby and loading)

Rocket assisted 8 inch M754 w/proximity fuze, drill version in its secure shipping container with integral PAL (Permissive Action Link) safety/security device. The correct code needs to be entered on the dials or the projectile is rendered inopperable.

Photos taken in 2000, in a Museum. Photos copyright HAZORD.

Attachments

• M754.jpg
    M754.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 80
  • PAL Control.jpg
    PAL Control.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 68
  • PAL connection.jpg
    PAL connection.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Nomenclature.jpg
    Nomenclature.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 65
Actually, it could be the same one you have seen. Your part of the world.

Last edited:
Strange, regardless of the place (which I now know). It surprises me to see this round seeing displayed out side the US, especially with the PAL being shown There isn't on display at the unclassified nuc museum in Nevada Anything else there?

Since the U.S. actually gave PAL design data to the Russians, so that the Russians could make their special weapons more safe, maybe no one considered the PAL device classified anymore.

this fuses M 543 , M 543 A1 , M 591 are very hard to find ?

Since 911, anything with a "nuclear" application is very hard to find or even see. The National Atomic Museum was closed for a period of time, and then they were going to move it from its location on an Air Force Base, to a different loaction, so that visitors wouldn't have to enter the base to go to the museum.

The 8-inch HES was used in live fire training although I think it was originally designed for registration. It used the same propelling charges as the Nuc (M 80 IIRC), different to the normal 8 inch Green and White bag. The shell was about 40lbs heavier than normal HE.

The was no special live firing training round for 155, although there was drill round for fuze setting and handling practice. Similarly the drill round for 8 inch - the NSI inspectors had to have something to eyeball! There was also another training round for 8 inch, the assembly training round used by the custodial detachments to build the device to the ordered yield.

I was under the impression that one or both of the two M7nn weapons never entered service.

Yes the newer 8" did enter service life. I trained on it from 79 until I retired. Someone earlier mentioned the training rounds for the 8" M 422 family. The only difference between the arty guys trainer (one they could insert rings, projectile fuze) from the EOD 3B trainer was the dash pots and the nose cone. The EODPs called for specific procedures in disarming this projectile, both these parts had specific actions taken on them as part of that disarming.

Some day the US will regrete getting rid of our arty nuc's, as well as the ADMs.