What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Number 80 modified?

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I obtained this piece earlier this year and am not sure what to make of it. The thread size is 2 inch and the graduations around the base are the same as found on a number 80 fuze Mk VII, but is similar in shape to a number 82. However, the graduations have never been numbered. The top piece is firmly fixed to the base with no fixings visible, so possibly screwed and it is heavy. It looks like it has been well used rather than being a piece of trench art.

I wondered if this might have been a part of a drill round at some point. Has anyone seen one of these before or have any thoughts what it might be?

20221115_150740.jpg20221115_150748.jpg20221115_150756.jpg

Judging by all the marks to the top I think its of a loading drill round, looks like the top is screwed on, could it be a damaged screw, top middle?

Judging by all the marks to the top I think its of a loading drill round, looks like the top is screwed on, could it be a damaged screw, top middle?

Thanks for your thoughts Tig. There is no screw there, just a depression. I can access the top from the bottom through a small hole but there is nothing to screw into.

It looks a bit like a Naval No. 402, apart from the graduations on the lower part. Depotman