What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ and Aussie CAC headstamps

Australian and NZ CAC

There are two ways to tell Australian from New Zealand CAC cartidges.

The Australian rounds included the month of the year up until 1937, whether the headstamp was CAC, SAAF, AF or MF, and the "VI" or "VII" of the mark number always had its base towards the primer.

New Zealand CAC rounds did not have the month and the mark number was orientated in the same direction as the "CAC".

Regards
TonyE

There are two ways to tell Australian from New Zealand CAC cartidges.

The Australian rounds included the month of the year up until 1937, whether the headstamp was CAC, SAAF, AF or MF, and the "VI" or "VII" of the mark number always had its base towards the primer.

New Zealand CAC rounds did not have the month and the mark number was orientated in the same direction as the "CAC".

Regards
TonyE
I was given these in a large batch of WW2 dated Au and NZ .303, so have no idea if they are Aust or Kiwi. Which might they be?

IMG_0878.jpg

Sorry about the clarity of the pic. If it's hard to make out, I'll try a better shot in daylight.

Cac

Perhaps I was wrong that the NZ rounds did not include the month, but I was always led to understand that was the case. I am quite sure that the Australian rounds had the mark number with the base towards the primer.

I have just checked the Footscray history and that shows the same date as yours with the mark number the other way, so that makes yours New Zealand production.

If there are any antipodean collectors here perhaps they could confirm the above?

Regards
TonyE