What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Obturator box 9,2 inch.

Michel

This turned up, the storage box for the obturator pad for the Navy 9,2 inch gun. Very pleased with this one. Never seen one, not a very common object. When it is ready I think I will cast one from a resin to see what it actually looks like.
Does somebody have more info on obturators?

From the wiki page this picture off the obturator in the gun. It's the pad between the mushroom shaped head an the treads that go into the breech. And the forward 9,2 inch gun on HMS Cressy.
image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

The obturator pad was compressed by the breech pressure upon the mushroom head which squeezed it outwards to form a gas tight seal against the conical sealing surface ahead of the screw threads. If left long term installed on the breech block/door it tended to dry out and shrink. The slightest leak of gas past the obturator would quickly tear the surface away and it would be destroyed. I can't remember offhand what was used to soak the pad (it was a long time ago) before it was placed in the storage box and screwed up tight to retain its shape.

gravelbelly

From the Ordnance B.L. 9.2 inch Mk. XV, X, Xv & X* on Mounting 9.2 inch Mark IX Handbook

..... Canvas covered Obturator Pads will be given a liberal coating of Tallow, which should be worked as far as may be possible well into the pad. .....

I was carefull cleaning out the very little that was in the box, because the pad itself contained asbestos.

A good buy Michel, i saw the add too, bid on it, but let it go. Good to see its in your collection now
Kees

Thanks Kees. It's a really nice piece and fits like a glove in my collection. When it's ready I will post a pic or 2. The key for obtaining it was: I already have lots of casings which seal the breech of the big German guns. Now I have a link to the British big gun sealing system (de Bange).

Last edited:
You've done a great job cleaning them up.

Now if you come across a B.L. 9.2 inch Mk. XV on a Mk. IX mounting could you just pop it in the post and send it down to New Zealand please.

I will remember NZ-L1A1-Collector but it's going to be a haefty postage involved at 16 kilograms.