What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd U.S. M67 Body Variation

ordnance

Premium Member
This variation of the M67 grenade body has been in my collection for 20+ years and am seeking more information on it.

Instead of the usual 3-piece construction with the small cylindrical neck welded to the upper hemisphere, this example has a one-piece drawn upper half attached to the lower. While the center seam isn't easy to see in the photo, the upper and lower halves are attached like any other M67. The seam on this one is just finished a little smoother than most.

Internally, it is roll-coined with the normal frag pattern which is visible on the outside, especially on the bottom of the body. Anyone who has ever held an M67 knows what I mean about the coining showing through on the base. It came without a fuze and has had an average M213 added to complete it so that part won't offer any additional clues.

I'm assuming this example is probably an experimental manufacturing variation but have no documentation to prove it. It came from a guy in the Montana National Guard (as opposed to Picatinny or Aberdeen) so that would tend to indicate an issued piece, but the fact that I haven't seen another says otherwise. Any input would be appreciated, especially from the older EOD guys who might have seen another along the way. Thanks!

Rick

Attachments

• PICT0728.JPG
    PICT0728.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 71
Hello Rick,

No idea or reference here, however a very neat example!

I am wondering if it may have been from a rifle grenade project?

Thanks and stay safe,

Frank

Frank,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I never really considered the possibility of it being rifle grenade related but it sure makes sense.

The Israeli rifle grenades from a few years ago that utilized an inverted M67 body for the warhead always seemed like an interesting design. And a body with the upper half fashioned like mine should certainly provide additional strength in the neck area to withstand launching forces.

As the M26 style body was the last frag to fit the M1A2 projection adapter, perhaps we're looking at part of a 1970's version of the M17 rifle grenade. It's a good theory until something better comes along.

Rick