What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd Wartime F1 Grenade / Have you Seen This?

Kilroy was Here

Hi, here is new one for the collection that arrived today, and was finally able to take better photos to show what I think is very odd/strange.
The F1 grenade body itself looks to be a pre war F1 type. The filler hole on bottom is plugged with a lead plug. There are no casting marks at all on this body.
The grenade is painted a brown green color that I have seen on other Soviet WW2 grenades and ord. Some of the paint is still on the lead plug around the protected cracks and crevices. etc. which leads me to believe this plug is original to the grenade.
I also think the paint is original period paint from the WW2 or Pre war era.

Could this plug be a quick fix for a "Blockade" grenade? if there is such a thing? I know about the mortar grenades that were made during the blockade, but what about this..........

Has anyone seen, or have one like this? Any help will be appreciated.

Regards, Steve

Attachments

• PB170028.jpg
    PB170028.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 25
  • PB170030.jpg
    PB170030.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 26
  • PB170029.jpg
    PB170029.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 24
  • PB170023.jpg
    PB170023.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 23
  • PB170021.jpg
    PB170021.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 19
This is for sure russian F'1 with oryginal paint from ww2.
I had seen few examples with lead plug.In post "Russian WW II F1's"
I wrote that I had seen only steel plugs but I forgot about this lead plugs.

This is for sure russian F'1 with oryginal paint from ww2.
I had seen few examples with lead plug.In post "Russian WW II F1's"
I wrote that I had seen only steel plugs but I forgot about this lead plugs.

Hi, thanks for the fast reply. OK, this is one type WW2 Soviet F1 I have not seen before. I have 2 with steel plug and a few without plug.

Is there a reason for this style plug, maybe hurried production or lack of materials from the Blockade years? This is just my theory, what do you think?

Are these big lead plugs just the way this particular factory always made threm?

If so, I think they would be seen more often.

Regards, Steve

Kilroy!
Make me please a bigger photos please!! (I need for book)
look at my public profile mail...

THANKS!!

Kilroy!
Make me please a bigger photos please!! (I need for book)
look at my public profile mail...

THANKS!!

Hi, OK, do I get credit in your book! You can put "Dr. Ruby", this is me for pics on lexpev also :D
I have many good photos. I have been trying to find info and picture, and also example of the det that will fit this coarse thread oddball Kovesh I have, and I am speaking of.

Regards, Steve