What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odds & Ins

imaokie2000

I was home for a few weeks and rearranged some of my collection. I snapped some pics while I had some rounds off the shelf. These are just some odds & ins. Now I'm back at work and have good DSL, I thought I would take advantage of it and post some pics.

British & Canadian Boys
Boys.jpg

Italian, British and Japanese Bredas
Bredas.jpg

Original Exp 50 Mod 1918/19 rounds.
IMG_1774.jpg

Misc British Rounds
IMG_1775.jpg

Misc Soviet type grenades
nades.jpg

Misc exp unconventional rounds
Non Conventional.jpg

Misc Saboted rounds
Sabot Types 001.jpgSabot Types 002.jpgSabot Types 003.jpg

Sectioned rounds
Sectioned Rounds.jpg

Some of my favorites. British .50 V690 Vickers
Vickers.jpg

A very fine collection with some very interesting rounds. Although I only collect British military I greatly admire your early .50 Brownings. They are something we hardly ever see here in the UK. Also, your 15mm BESA are in nice condition. Most we see here are usually in a worse state than that.

I am interested in the .55 Boys Practice round with the coloured tip. Is it dark blue? I have both the P1 and PII rounds with the blue band but no tip colour.

Also, is the Boys .22 adaptor cartridge shown at the top of the first picture highly polished steel or nickel plated?

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Lovely stuff, we share a common interest in modern apfsds and things with fins.
What is the one 2 to the right of the sectioned 20mm Davy Crockett.
Do you have any more details on the Bofors with the fin.
Thanks for showing them.
Dave.

A very fine collection with some very interesting rounds. Although I only collect British military I greatly admire your early .50 Brownings. They are something we hardly ever see here in the UK. Also, your 15mm BESA are in nice condition. Most we see here are usually in a worse state than that.

I am interested in the .55 Boys Practice round with the coloured tip. Is it dark blue? I have both the P1 and PII rounds with the blue band but no tip colour.

Also, is the Boys .22 adaptor cartridge shown at the top of the first picture highly polished steel or nickel plated?

Regards
TonyE
Thank you Tony,

Yes, the one 55 Boys Practice round does have a blue tip. It is the only one I have ever seen.

The old 50 Brownings were reloaded on the test range because of a shortage of cases. They generally reloaded the cases until they failed. Usually, the neck split. It's very uncommon to find one in mint condition and live. I get lucky every once in a while but, I'd take them in any condition.

The .22 Subcal device is polished steel. The previous owner took good care of it. It came to me without a single blemish.

Thanks
......JR

Last edited:
Lovely stuff, we share a common interest in modern apfsds and things with fins.
What is the one 2 to the right of the sectioned 20mm Davy Crockett.
Do you have any more details on the Bofors with the fin.
Thanks for showing them.
Dave.

Thank you Dave,

The sectioned round is a GAU-7A CTA round. It was sectioned when I got it. I don't think I could ever been able to cut it. There's several post on these types rounds on BOCN.

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/59640-25-X-155-RG-GAU-7A-CTA-round?highlight=caseless
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/80257-25x137-projectile-with-nylon-driving-band?highlight=gau7

I am not sure if the origin of the L/70 Bofors with the fins. It is made of aluminum. When I got it, I thought it may have been cooked up in someone's shop. The quality of the machine work indicates (to me) that is at least a small production run on expensive machinery. The drive band is a pressed in copper band with excellent machining and no stamping. I feel it is at least a prototype. If anyone has any information on it, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks
......JR

Thank you Dave,

The sectioned round is a GAU-7A CTA round. It was sectioned when I got it. I don't think I could ever been able to cut it. There's several post on these types rounds on BOCN.

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/59640-25-X-155-RG-GAU-7A-CTA-round?highlight=caseless
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/80257-25x137-projectile-with-nylon-driving-band?highlight=gau7

I am not sure if the origin of the L/70 Bofors with the fins. It is made of aluminum. When I got it, I thought it may have been cooked up in someone's shop. The quality of the machine work indicates (to me) that is at least a small production run on expensive machinery. The drive band is a pressed in copper band with excellent machining and no stamping. I feel it is at least a prototype. If anyone has any information on it, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks
......JR

Hi thanks again. Its the one 2 to the right of the Davy Crockett (one to the right of the Gau 7a) that I was wondering about.
Dave.

Hi thanks again. Its the one 2 to the right of the Davy Crockett (one to the right of the Gau 7a) that I was wondering about.
Dave.

Oh, ok. It's an Experimental GAU-8 APDSFS-T Ceramic Sabot projectile developed by AAI. I can't see how it could have worked. It has no locking groves to fix the penetrator to the sabot nor does the sabot lock together. There's no driving band either. Although it is a very neat looking projectile, it looks like a bad idea all the way around. Since there's no driving band, I think this sabot was just a device to hold the penetrator to go down a non-rifled barrel for penetrator tests. I was told it was unreliable due to the sabot breaking up in the barrel.

I'm sure you've seen videos of 30mm cannons firing rounds with plastic sabots and all the debris flying off. Could you imagine a cannon firing this? With all the ceramic debris flying off, It'd have a large kill radius after the muzzle end!

Thanks
....JR

Thanks JR, its only the second one I've seen, must be quite a scarce piece.

Dave.