What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old bomb

AK101

DSC00241.jpg

DSC00239.jpg

A very nice WWI era small bomb. I'm not sure if they made chemical ones in this size, some of our members would know. If it isn't chemical, I question the pipe plug in the nose.

Here's mine, of a similar design. Fin attachment appears different. I tentatively identified mine as a U.S. 50lb. MkIII.

Attachments

• ord hut 092 (Small).jpg
    ord hut 092 (Small).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 68
  • ord hut 093 (Small).jpg
    ord hut 093 (Small).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 53
  • ord hut 095 (Small).jpg
    ord hut 095 (Small).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 42
A very nice WWI era small bomb. I'm not sure if they made chemical ones in this size, some of our members would know. If it isn't chemical, I question the pipe plug in the nose.

Nobody had chemical bombs during WWI. The French had one designed and ready by the end of the war, but it was too late for deployment. There were, however, several designs of incendiary bombs. To the best of my knowledge this was not used as one of them.

WW I french bomb

Hello all,
you are surprised of this pipe plug in the nose !? Well, I have probably an answer.
Like Kgr says, this bomb seems to be a french WW I bomb. I can't post a picture today, but I'll try it during the week. If you could post the dimensions, I should post the correct picture or drawing. In this type of bomb, the frenchies had three models : 10, 25 or 50 kg. These bombs were loaded with a liquid explosive : anilite, mix of petroleum and another component that I don't give the name because the rules of BOCN do not autorize the compositions of explosive !!!
This type of bombs were used 22 june 1916 on Karlsruhe. 40 bombs were dropped and caused 800 death with a big blast effect.
So ! You known now so much as me. Post the dimensions and I shall post the pictures or drawings.

Yoda

The documents show it to be a MK I, MK II or MK III based on the size and dimensions. I have a document on WW I ordnance with your bomb which does show a " pipe plug" in the nose indicating an incendiary bomb. Only HE, Inc and practice bombs were made, no chemical.

a " pipe plug" in the nose indicating an incendiary bomb. Only HE, Inc and practice bombs were made, no chemical.

Hi

Or , like said before , a liquid explosive (liquid oxygen , or some peroxyd + ...)

(With a separation inside, broken on impact on the ground) .

www.onnouscachetout.com
"In October 1914 Lt. Georges Claude of the French Army used an experimental liquid oxygen bomb in an attempt to blow up a villa at which Kaiser Wilhelm II was believed to be staying; although there were no reports of casualties, the attempt resulted in "a certain panic" among the Germans present. "

regards

Other Example : The Barlow bomb :

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/bombs-ww1.htm

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/barlow-bomb.htm

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/barlow-bomb-patents.htm

Last edited:
Anilite bombs

Here you shall find the three anilite bombs named "Gros-Andreau" (GA). You find also the base fuze Gros wich equiped the bombs with a liquid explosive filling.
In the nose you found a suspension lug coupled with a system who'll break the diaphragm between the two liquid component when the bomb was dropped. The mixing of the components occured during the fall of the bomb and must be a maximum completed on impact to occur a perfect detonation when the base fuze worked.

Three bombs, respectively 10,25 and 50 kg.

Yoda

Attachments

• Bombe 10 kg GA-01.JPG
    Bombe 10 kg GA-01.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Bombe 25 kg GA-01.JPG
    Bombe 25 kg GA-01.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Bombe 50 kg GA-01.JPG
    Bombe 50 kg GA-01.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Fuse de culot GROS-01.JPG
    Fuse de culot GROS-01.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 38
Hello all,
you are surprised of this pipe plug in the nose !? Well, I have probably an answer.
Like Kgr says, this bomb seems to be a french WW I bomb. I can't post a picture today, but I'll try it during the week. If you could post the dimensions, I should post the correct picture or drawing. In this type of bomb, the frenchies had three models : 10, 25 or 50 kg. These bombs were loaded with a liquid explosive : anilite, mix of petroleum and another component that I don't give the name because the rules of BOCN do not autorize the compositions of explosive !!!
This type of bombs were used 22 june 1916 on Karlsruhe. 40 bombs were dropped and caused 800 death with a big blast effect.
So ! You known now so much as me. Post the dimensions and I shall post the pictures or drawings.

Yoda

With respect to our French and Flemish members, I would lean more to a US identification. Keeping in mind that during the WWI timeframe the US adopted many French ordnance designs (75mm, 155mm, VB rifle grenade, etc etc), these bombs could easily have been copied by the US, though I've not done any research to prove or disprove this. If you look at the photos provided however, you will see the painted markings identifying the makers, which is very typical of the US bombs, not the French. The few original French markings that I have seen on bombs (courtesy of Les Invalides) have all been typical of the markings shown in the diagrams provided above. Based on this, I suggest that the original identification of US is more accurate. According to several reports wee loaded incendiary late in the war and after the war so may have had liquid fills as well.

I cannot get to my database on photos right now or I would offer a picture or two of some US marked bombs in the collection as examples, perhaps someone else has some photos? Otherwise I'll dig some up tomorrow.

Typical US markings.

Attachments

• DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0021a.jpg
    DSC_0021a.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 33