What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old equipment being scrapped at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland, United States.

Ouch,

It almost hurts to see that! The worst part is where the narrator tells about "collectors items" and "museum pieces" (mind you a, film from the 1940's !!) being cut up for scrap, some only prototypes. Makes one painfully aware of how much unique pieces have already been lost for posterity.

greetz,

Menno.

sad

boy that was a sad movie. they also did that again during korea and scraped a bunch of ww2 german tanks and artillary .

yeah, sad but then they needed the raw material for WW2. I saw a French (or American) Renault FT-17, but I suppose at that time they where not 'collectors' items just scrap metal, i suppose it like using F-4 now for target drones, or F16's I think they are getting into now, 20 or 30 years ago they would have be 'high tech'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_FT-17

I Think the Americans rescued a couple of these recently from an Afghan scrap heap and sent them back to the US.....maybe they should have kept some then

Scrapping munitions,

How ironic (forgive the pun)is this,just after ww2 my late father spent many hours cutting the hull tops off armoured cars and light tanks so that the lower hulls could be used as agricultural tractors,he told me that the metal was difficult to cut with torches because it retained the heat and flowed back together after the torch had passed,the only way to get a clear cut was to move the torch from side to side to widen the cut,swords to plough shares,?
Regards,Don,