What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old fuze

SG500

Premium Member
Not my field of expertise, I found this one today.
What's it for?
Dave.

Attachments

• 30 Jan 10 007.jpg
    30 Jan 10 007.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 30 Jan 10 008.jpg
    30 Jan 10 008.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 30 Jan 10 009.jpg
    30 Jan 10 009.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Hi Dave,

You'll have to let me know where you do your fuze shopping!:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Cheers,
Andy

Hi Dave,

You'll have to let me know where you do your fuze shopping!:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Cheers,
Andy

Andy, there's a cracking little antique centre near to the main train station in Central Cardiff called Jacobs market (see link below)
http://www.qype.co.uk/place/115124-Jacob-s-Market-Cardiff
If you go to the first floor in there there are a couple of militaria stalls, the one on the end has been run by a guy called Sean for over 20 years, he's got loads of stuff - shells, grenades, deac guns, uniforms, badges, helmets, blades etc. etc. I'd recommend a visit

Dave.

Last edited:
Royal Laboratory Percussion Fuze;

A real nice English Royal Laboratory Mk. III percussion fuze for artillery projectiles. Spotter also posted one.
Regards,
John aka Bart

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dave!

The wife wants to go to Wales on holiday this year,I'll have to find a campsite nearby!

Cheers,
Andy

Thanks Dave!

The wife wants to go to Wales on holiday this year,I'll have to find a campsite nearby!

Cheers,
Andy

Just make sure you go on Thursday, Friday or Saturday, its shut the rest of the week.
Dave.

Fuze, Percussion, RL, No 7 (Mark III*)

Dave,

A pure graze fuze with a needle in the head and a detonator carried in an inertia pellet. The III* fuze is a conversion of the Mks II, II* and III to approximate to the last design (Mark IV) which had a 'feathered guard' to prevent the graze pellet working forward against the needle during flight (ie to stop prematures).

Nose fuze for RML 40-Pr and upwards, RBL 40-Pr in Land Service and 20-Pr in Sea Service.

Mark III* introduced 2 Dec 1892. All marks obsolete 21st July 1911.

[Refs: Notes (mine) and Hogg's. List of Changes]

Last edited:
Dave,

A pure graze fuze with a needle in the head and a detonator carried in an inertia pellet. The III* fuze is a conversion of the Mks II, II* and III to approximate to the last design (Mark IV) which had a 'feathered guard' to prevent the graze pellet working forward against the needle during flight (ie to stop prematures).

Nose fuze for RML 40-Pr and upwards, RBL 40-Pr in Land Service and 20-Pr in Sea Service.

Mark III* introduced 2 Dec 1892. All marks obsolete 21st July 1911.

[Refs: Notes (mine) and Hogg's. List of Changes]

Thanks Norman, useful information.
Dave.

Your Copy;

Dave,
Attached is a rendering of your MkIII* 1891
Best Regards,
John aka Bart

Dave,
Attached is a rendering of your MkIII* 1891
Best Regards,
John aka Bart

WOW, very good John, thanks. I won't ask you to share your secrets on how you do these great drawings but they certainly show things that it are difficult to show in photographs.
Thanks.
Dave.

More old fuzes

I went shopping on Saturday and got a few more, these ones have got the brass bits that the number III fuzes screw into. Can anyone confirm how these function. The short ones are aprox 45mm long, I assume they are just the brass fuze pockets? The longer ones are about 120mm long and taper down to a single point which unscrews, it looks very much like part of the fuze as opposed to the fuze pocket. Would this be full of black powder or equivalent? I've tried googling this but can't quite find what I'm looking for.
All INERT etc.
Thanks,
Dave.

Attachments

• Victorian fuzes 001.jpg
    Victorian fuzes 001.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Victorian fuzes 002.jpg
    Victorian fuzes 002.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Victorian fuzes 003.jpg
    Victorian fuzes 003.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Victorian fuzes 004.jpg
    Victorian fuzes 004.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Victorian fuzes 005.jpg
    Victorian fuzes 005.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Victorian fuzes 006.jpg
    Victorian fuzes 006.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Victorian fuzes 007.jpg
    Victorian fuzes 007.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Victorian fuzes 008.jpg
    Victorian fuzes 008.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Thanks for showing them Dave, it's reassuring to know there are still some to be found. XT

Dave,

Presumably you are OK with the actual Fuze, Percussion, Royal Laboratory No7 Mk III* which is a graze fuze.

Dave,

Presumably you are OK with the actual Fuze, Percussion, Royal Laboratory No7 Mk III* which is a graze fuze.

Yes thanks Norman you kindly provided the info earlier in the thread, it was the other bits that went with it that I was looking for info about especially the longer ones.
Thanks,
Dave.

No. 7 Nose Fuze;

The IV became the No. 7 fuze when numbering started.
John

Attachments

• British Royal Laboratory II,  1 - 75.jpg
    British Royal Laboratory II, 1 - 75.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 30
  • British No 7  Percussion Fuze.jpg
    British No 7 Percussion Fuze.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 31
Adapters for Spherical Shells;

Hi Dave,
Because the adapters are threaded on the inside to receive the No. 7 and the like and the outside is tapered w/o threads Iam betting that these tapered adapters were used to adapt the threaded fuzes to spherical shells, in which some merely had tapered holes to receive the old Boxer wooden time fuses. Yes, I beliieve the longer adapters would have been charged with black powder to transmit the flame from the fuze to the black powder filler. Probably for larger diameter shell, however, because the shell is liable not to impact the target and the correct angle, I believe that the adapters were more likely to adapt the early Sea Service Pettman fuze to the round shells having tapered fuze holes. the Pettman SS became obsolete prior to the fuze numbering system.
John aka Bart
See my PM

Attachments

• British Pettman Sea Service Percussion Fuze.jpg
    British Pettman Sea Service Percussion Fuze.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 25