What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old grenade

SG500

Premium Member
Here's one I got the other day.
I'm a little behind the curve with grenades, anyone know how it works?
Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 31
What a fantastic example. Really nice condition. I believe they were made to fill a gap in grenade stock, but correct me if I'm wrong, as not too hot on French WW1. Certainly looks all original to me.

What a fantastic example. Really nice condition. I believe they were made to fill a gap in grenade stock, but correct me if I'm wrong, as not too hot on French WW1. Certainly looks all original to me.
Thanks pointblank0 I got it in Malvern last weekend. The stall holder said about his friend who had got a load out of a lake when it was drained (possibly the same as Julien mentions above). There were about 10 of them on the stall, some with handles that had mainly rotted away, others like this one in better condition.
Dave.

Hi Dave, it was a very simple gren to use.
Under the nail inside the wood block would be a simple percussion cap. a short length of fuze would go from the wood block to the 100 grain Melenite cartridge Model 1890, which was inside the frag tube. the nail was attached to the gren by a smal length of wire and would be in the top end of the wood block when issued. to use the gren the nail was inserted in the hole that its in now and pushed or twisted into the percussion cap to light the fuze. as soon as it started to burn the gren was throw. they came in a variety of sizes and different pattern frag tubes. see attached.
Originally the whole gren would have been dipped in wax to waterproof it.
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• Page8LargetubePetard.jpg
    Page8LargetubePetard.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Page8petard1.jpg
    Page8petard1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Page8petard2.jpg
    Page8petard2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Page8petard3.jpg