What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions & Info-Soviet PMD-6 & PMD-7

Hi Steve,
Do you have some other Finnish mine as well? I have manuals of almost everything pre-45 except this one.

Hi Steve,
Do you have some other Finnish mine as well? I have manuals of almost everything pre-45 except this one.

Hi Reino, No, this is my only Finnish mine. I would like to have others, but have not seen them for sale or trade. They are not too common it seems.
I like the Finnish grenades also, but do not have any yet. Maybe soon though. A friend here has a Finnish Mortar shell grenade that he will sell me. He will send me pics of it soon. I have already seen these Finnish Mortar shell grenades before, I think they are a great looking interesting grenade. I hope the one offered to me is in good condition. I already have 3 of the Russian mortar grenades, and they are some of the favorite's in my collection. I have become very interested in the improvised grenades and mines from WW2.

Regards, Steve

Last edited:
It's amazing world but today I found a manual for box mine M/43, dated 1944.
The manual says: "dimensions of M/43 box mine are 145 x 65 x 30mm, TNT charge 100 grams".
Further it says: " dimensions or earlier made mines are 180 x 80 x 35mm and TNT charge either 100 or 200 grams".
Attached 2 pictures from the manual.

Attachments

• M43-1.jpg
    M43-1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 32
  • M43-2.jpg
    M43-2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 32
Another amazing found today; a Finnish 1943 dated manual about Russian mines and igniters.
This manual mentions only the large PMD 6, with 200 grams TNT-charge. So, nothing about the glass bottle. However it shows in attached picture a 50mm mortar shell used as a charge in this mine. I wonder if the shell fits inside the normal height PMD 6 ??

Attachments

• PMD 6.jpg
    PMD 6.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 28
It's amazing world but today I found a manual for box mine M/43, dated 1944.
The manual says: "dimensions of M/43 box mine are 145 x 65 x 30mm, TNT charge 100 grams".
Further it says: " dimensions or earlier made mines are 180 x 80 x 35mm and TNT charge either 100 or 200 grams".
Attached 2 pictures from the manual.

Another amazing found today; a Finnish 1943 dated manual about Russian mines and igniters.
This manual mentions only the large PMD 6, with 200 grams TNT-charge. So, nothing about the glass bottle. However it shows in attached picture a 50mm mortar shell used as a charge in this mine. I wonder if the shell fits inside the normal height PMD 6 ??

Amazing, You are a Magician!.......It is like magic..Ask, and Ye Shall Receive.
Reino, where did you go to "find" these manuals, does your local library have these "books" in inventory still? :wink: Do you actually have the manuals in hand?

A 5cm-50mm mortar round does not fit my PMD properly. It is close, but not deep enough. The mines used with the mortar shells were taller (or deeper) like these pics I found, (the plain wood colored one in pic) These are the PMD-7 shown, but the 5cm mortar round will fit the smaller and deeper mines also. I just checked the length of my 5cm mortar shell, and the small Finnish mine I have, and it would fit, if the mine was deeper.

Is there a way for you to send me, or show pictures or scans of these manuals "covers & any printing dates", and maybe contents pages?

Regards, Steve

Attachments

• P8310001.jpg
    P8310001.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 26
  • P8310003.jpg
    P8310003.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 27
  • P8310002.jpg
    P8310002.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 22
First off, I have really enjoyed this thread. If you're not real careful you just may learn things in here. Great mines Steve. Those of us who started collecting "pre-web" can truly appreciate seeing such things. Information used to be limited to word of mouth at shows and what one had in their reference library. BOCN is a truly awesome tool, make that the most valuable tool in collecting information for what us crazies collect. If just one life was changed.....................................................Dano

First off, I have really enjoyed this thread. If you're not real careful you just may learn things in here. Great mines Steve. Those of us who started collecting "pre-web" can truly appreciate seeing such things. Information used to be limited to word of mouth at shows and what one had in their reference library. BOCN is a truly awesome tool, make that the most valuable tool in collecting information for what us crazies collect. If just one life was changed.....................................................Dano

Thanks Dano. I've enjoyed this thread also, and also the thread about the early S-mine I posted to find out about.

There are some very knowledgeable collectors here like Reino, Peter, and many others. I am grateful for all the information I get from others that take the time to share their collections, pics and info they have learned. I soak it up like a sponge.
You are right, BOCN is "an awesome tool".... without the internet and computers, most of this info would not be found out or shared, and of course our collections would be a little smaller. But our pockets would be deeper and wallets fatter.

Regards, Steve

Last edited:
I'm probably a little bit I can not understand what it is here the discussion. Are you interested in the original Soviet leadership at the mines PMD series?? This is.
And then there is a photo from a museum in St. Petersburg trying to post

I'm probably a little bit I can not understand what it is here the discussion. Are you interested in the original Soviet leadership at the mines PMD series?? This is.
And then there is a photo from a museum in St. Petersburg trying to post

Hello Ivashkin, we are the same...I cannot understand what you ask? :bigsmile:

The Discussion was Finnish/Russian wood box mines. I showed the Museum photos to show difference in sizes.

The museum in St. Petersburg is a fantastic place. I would like to visit someday.

Regards, Steve

Hello Ivashkin, we are the same...I cannot understand what you ask? :bigsmile:

The Discussion was Finnish/Russian wood box mines. I showed the Museum photos to show difference in sizes.

The museum in St. Petersburg is a fantastic place. I would like to visit someday.

Regards, Steve

Sorry, the translator is not quite true translated what I wanted to say.:tinysmile_twink_t2:
Now I understand what you are discussing here. I would say that if you want, I can put the original manual on data Soviet mines, and that many differences as there is in them.

The museum in St Petersburg, I was here three weeks ago. He is in poor condition, more exposure there are pitiful. Hall Engineering troops have killed me: (Half the stands filled with a maximum of 1 / 3 of its area.:tinysmile_angry_t:
Established relationships in tamoshnem leadership, but it has not pleased me. Much of the literature they do not have a lot they do not know.
Head of the museum department of engineering troops - a woman! They do not have a lot of literature, and as they told me they sometimes come up with explanations of the exhibits. But then received instructions to rare Soviet mine, for it thanks to them. Shared with them some guidelines on Soviet engineering ammunition and they were unrealistically happy!

this mortar shell is not model 5cm but the model 3,7 cm

Correct, the tail looked a bit strange to me but didn't think about this. Then it fits in the box easily.
BTW, does anyone have this soviet 37mm mortar shell for spade mortar? I know one spade mortar in a collection here.

The 37mm looked somewhat different from the one in the drawing.
Besides that the mine body there is not the regular one of a PMD-6. Means what ever mortar shell it is it is likely that the mine body got adapted to the size of the shell.

Hard to say about dimensions of the mine box as the drawing is schematic only. So far I have seen a lot of captured Russian WW2 mine boxes but they all have been the same size.
An interesting question is that what shell could it be then if not Russian 50mm or 37mm?

Means what ever mortar shell it is it is likely that the mine body got adapted to the size of the shell.

I agree, the Soviets made many different sized mine boxes. Like the ones I showed from the museum in St. Petersburg earlier in thread. Some are taller/deeper or longer etc. When you look at all the St.Pete museum mine photos, It makes you think the Russians had a box mine for everything. :tinysmile_hmm_t:

Regards, Steve

One day I for sure find a manual and it will light up the questions.

Reino, you could not have said it better when you said "will light up the questions"

These manuals you have shown, and the info in this thread have surely lit up brightly all these unknown questions about Finnish box mines
Thank you very much.

Regards, Steve