What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordnance on WW1 battlefields

Der_Feldgraue

Here I will post some pics of relic shells and grenades as you can still see on the battlefield of Verdun. None of them were touched and I won't tell the exact spot, where the pics were made. Remember that only in Verdun every year between 2 and 6 people die after handling these old ordnance...

First a german long 7,7 cm shell with EKZ 16. Maybe a gas shell!

Note from spotter,,,Der Feldgraue obtained special permission from bocn prior to showing live items as found in the field.None of the items shown have been dug or moved only photographed..remember these items are designed to kill and still do no matter how old they are

Attachments

• DSCF0022.jpg
    DSCF0022.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 368
Last edited by a moderator:
Here three german 10 cm shells with GrZ.04 and a german 15 cm shell with Grz. 92. You can still see the stamps on the Grz.92 for example. It was made in 1916 by the company of MAN (still exists today and produces trucks etc.). Their company logo is the lion or panther you can see before the date "16".

Attachments

• Dscf0001.jpg
    Dscf0001.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 389
  • Dscf0002.jpg
    Dscf0002.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 340
Hi Der Feldgraue,
Unusual to see the detonating rod still in place on the EKZ 16
Richard

Grz92

Really good to see a GRZ92 percussion fuze on a shell in the wild. Just another fuze on my want list. WOW. Thanks for sharing...Dano

Here I will post some pics of relic shells and grenades as you can still see on the battlefield of Verdun. None of them were touched and I won't tell the exact spot, where the pics were made. Remember that only in Verdun every year between 2 and 6 people die after handling these old ordnance...

First a german long 7,7 cm shell with EKZ 16. Maybe a gas shell!

interesting images

ekz fuze is quite rare to find as it usually rots away easily,most likely filled with gas as the ekz fuze was designed to detonate on contact with the surface and not in it.
Very nice thanks

There is just something about photos of relics taken it their resting place that really speaks to me. I suppose it could have something to do with living in North America. Just do not have the opportunity to see these in person.

Thanks for sharing these photos, I hope there are more to come.

Here are some piccs i took this year in France,,all found items.
Regards Nick

Attachments

• DSCF1099.jpg
    DSCF1099.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 395
  • DSCF1100.jpg
    DSCF1100.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 349
  • DSCF1093.jpg
    DSCF1093.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 371
  • DSCF1122.jpg
    DSCF1122.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 382
in the wild

Oh my Jeeeensy, Great pictures. I totally agree with Pylon about seeing ordnance in the field so to speak. I think Chris would like to know where that Granatenwerfer is. I get a "total woody" looking at that picture...Dano

a couple more period pics.
Regards nick

Attachments

• DSCF1094.jpg
    DSCF1094.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCF1095.jpg
    DSCF1095.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCF1115.jpg
    DSCF1115.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCF1114.jpg
    DSCF1114.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCF1124.jpg
    DSCF1124.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 149
Thanks for your contributions.

Here some Granatenwerfer rounds and stick grenades (also one light Minenwerfer round) found by forest workers and "arranged" for the EOD guys to pick them up:

Attachments

• DSCF0039.jpg
    DSCF0039.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 246
Thanks for your contributions.

Here some Granatenwerfer rounds and stick grenades (also one light Minenwerfer round) found by forest workers and "arranged" for the EOD guys to pick them up:

nice image

alot of people dont realise how much stuff is laying around and not even burried and very easy to find (if you know where to look)
You can see far more in winter when there is less vegatation.

Oh my Jeeeensy, Great pictures. I totally agree with Pylon about seeing ordnance in the field so to speak. I think Chris would like to know where that Granatenwerfer is. I get a "total woody" looking at that picture...Dano

Dano,
Look at Le Tommy website. I think that is where Jeensey's photo was taken.
Richard

nice image

alot of people dont realise how much stuff is laying around and not even burried and very easy to find (if you know where to look)
You can see far more in winter when there is less vegatation.

Not that anyone other than EOD would or should even think of touching this stuff.
Weasel.

fuses EKZ 16

If you find a EKZ 16 fuse on a shell, then you can have two kind of shell's first of all a high explosive shell with or without smoke cartridge inside and as second possibility the toxic shell Blaukreuz

i like to see old ordnance and battle fields but i think its sad that that these items still kill 95 years after they were fired

Nice photos from everyone! Dano, some good trench photos there for you to replicate with your trench!

trenchaholic

Yeah buddy John, I sure did pick up an idea or two. I have to get some of thet corrugated iron and/or tin. Also picked up a cool idea from slickrick's pics from europe, kind of an officer table with corrugated iron atop some 6" by 6" posts. Better sharpen the tools..Dan