What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ordnance prices

This is something I just have to get off my chest about ORDNANCE PRICES. Fair market value equals whatever the market will bear. So if some meathead pays 205.00 for an m1917 German practice egg grenade then he has just upped the market value of that piece of ordnance. It seems that somebody with "deep pockets" will overpay for an item that he or she really thinks they need. Don't get me wrong here, if you are rich, I am happy for you. A German egg grenade with grip lugs is worth about 50.00us and if somebody shells out 205.00 for that egg i'll light the wood when he/she is burned at the stake. My god, even fair prices are high to a guy like me living on a fixed income but I love my meager collection damn near as much as I love my gorgeous wife! When I first started collecting I was a guilty as the next guy/gal, many times overpaying for something "I just had to have". But i'll tell you what. Everytime I fondled that piece of ordnance that I paid too goddam' much money for it made me sick to my stomach and it eventually had to go. Geez I just read this line of crap and looks like a lunatics ramblings to me so I will stop here. Yours truly, Dano

Thats why dano,i got fed up of buying fuzes from fleabay because some tosser always bumped it to ridiculous prices sometimes.

Waff

I'd have to disagree. To begin with, the "value" of a WWI egg grenade is 0.00. Once you realise that and understand that your collection actually has zero value, you can go back to collecting and quit worrying about what someone else pays.

If I want something, I decide what it is worth to me. If it is on e-bay, or auction arms or at the flea market. What someone else pays has nothing to do with the value to me. Its my money, my decision. At the same time I don't fool myself into thinking that my pieces are "worth" anything.

I know people that will pay nothing for ordnance, others that have mortgaged everything they own to get ordnance. But some of the best collectors I know have changed and become something different when they started to care less about their collecting and more about the "value" of what they are collecting. If someone paid $200 for a grenade you would pay $50 for, he wanted it more then you. Full stop. How many non-collectors would say the same about you paying $50 for a worthless piece of steel?

I cant even tell you how many times Ive been sniped or lost auctions because someone else had to have it at all cost.And Ive had conversations with sellers and asked them why they ask outragous prices for items,and have gotten that excuse,of its what the market will bear.""Usually as they make that statement they avoid eye contact and are looking at the ground.""What it boils down to simply is greed.There are collecters and there are sellers.Collecting artifacts of war is my hobby,and without sellers and people to compete with,I dont think it would be as much fun,to be honest with you.Oh sure,it would be less stressfull,cheaper but the level of self satisfaction I feel when I sucessfully hunt down and purchse,for an affordable reasonable price, an item for my collection,wouldnt be the same.

I prefer swaps.
That way everyone is smiling!:tinysmile_shy_t:
If I put something on Classifieds then it just happens to be what I think its worth (I just put a fixed price) so if anyone wants it its up to them.
Dave.

swaps

Well said Dave, swaps are the best. I did not mean to hurt anyones feelings, just every now and again I just gotta vent. I think i've made some of the best friends in my life in this forum through conversation and swaps, I mean true friends, not "fair weather" friends, and that my friend is what life is about. Again apologies if anyone was offended by my sarcasm...Dano

Come on guys,

get real, buying and selling has been going on since man aquired the concept of money. Even before that probably and many societies today rate things in cattle, bread of some other such commoddity.

Everything has a price, wheat, gold, oil so why are you griping so much. Hell, in my mind i am much more concerned with the price of fuel as that affects just about everything and i mean everything. Food i reccon is the most important item that we take for granted, price of fuel goes up,price of food goes up. I can live without my hobbies, not my food. You dont actually need all these fuzes, Mills bombs, bits of ordnance etc but its nice to have them isnt it????

Its just a load of winging about the reason why you can have most things for almost nothing. If you really want something, you will have it whatever the cost as other posters have stated.Perhaps you could winge about something that really really matters and not crap such as this.

Cars[autos] are too pricey here in the UK but i cant work without one so why dont we have a pop at this instead???

We live in a democratic society where market forces dictate just about everything we do.

I dont have a lot of money, if i did ide probably enjoy life more, buy loads of new cars, best fishing tackle made, travel the world, and of course buy a few more goodies that i could afford. But i havnt and i dont but i get on with life[at the moment as a carer for my mum its pretty awful] but i get on with it.

Please, please, please lets get real and talk about sensible things and i aint going to appologise for what i have just said.

I am afraid that these sort of posts make me very very cross, if you dont like this game, dont play. I buy and sell but i dont complain all the time as i dont have to do this, all the rest i have to do. I would love to live in Utopia where life was good, everything was free but get real, it aint.

Pissed off Andy

Come on guys,

get real, buying and selling has been going on since man aquired the concept of money. Even before that probably and many societies today rate things in cattle, bread of some other such commoddity.

Everything has a price, wheat, gold, oil so why are you griping so much. Hell, in my mind i am much more concerned with the price of fuel as that affects just about everything and i mean everything. Food i reccon is the most important item that we take for granted, price of fuel goes up,price of food goes up. I can live without my hobbies, not my food. You dont actually need all these fuzes, Mills bombs, bits of ordnance etc but its nice to have them isnt it????

Its just a load of winging about the reason why you can have most things for almost nothing. If you really want something, you will have it whatever the cost as other posters have stated.Perhaps you could winge about something that really really matters and not crap such as this.

Cars[autos] are too pricey here in the UK but i cant work without one so why dont we have a pop at this instead???

We live in a democratic society where market forces dictate just about everything we do.

I dont have a lot of money, if i did ide probably enjoy life more, buy loads of new cars, best fishing tackle made, travel the world, and of course buy a few more goodies that i could afford. But i havnt and i dont but i get on with life[at the moment as a carer for my mum its pretty awful] but i get on with it.

Please, please, please lets get real and talk about sensible things and i aint going to appologise for what i have just said.

I am afraid that these sort of posts make me very very cross, if you dont like this game, dont play. I buy and sell but i dont complain all the time as i dont have to do this, all the rest i have to do. I would love to live in Utopia where life was good, everything was free but get real, it aint.

Pissed off Andy

come on you guys,its down to what each one of us can afford and using your head.
You can easily get ripped off but i feel research is the key here.

It can be very frustrating that some folk seem to be loaded and can afford to buy what ever they want and not be affected by a certain price.

I'm not rich but i appreciate my collection for what it is and get real satisfaction from it.

I'm not sure if i had the same appreciation for my stuff if I could just go out and buy what ever I wanted.

What really annoys me is snobbery,and thankfully I havent experianced much at all on this site.

You can see some stuf that is stupidly priced,but then again all you have to do is dont buy it.

Be happy with what you have,theres always going to be someone with more or less.

Were all friends here,lets keep it that way.

18pounder:tinysmile_shy_t:

It's only worth is what the country paid for it when they contracted to have it made. All other worth is what somebody is willing to pay for it, I know this is how some people make money, It's all about supply and demand. If you know how to barder that helps

except some items the Army says an M50A2 is worth $25 what would you pay.

Attachments

• m50a2 pic.jpg
    m50a2 pic.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 106
  • m50a2.jpg
    m50a2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 93
It is not the seller that sets a final sale price, it is the buyer. An item will only sell for what someone is willing to pay for it.

Bingo

Bingo, well said. It was not my intention to make anyone mad nor hurt anyones feelings. Just got beat up on a deal and needed to vent. It was my intent to get people talking about the price of goods and it is so true that the buyer ultimately sets the final price. I wanted mainly to find out what different people were thinking on the subject and by the responce i'd have to say that I reached my objective. I'm really not that bad and still from time to time pay maybe just a "tad" too much for something I really want. If anyone was offended by my words then I HUMBLY apologize. You are a great group of human beings and was kind of just a fishing expedition. I have put off buying back a grenade I once had (1916 Verdun only artisnal stick grenade( rare as hell)) because it is 20.00 more than I prefer to pay. Well I think I may go ahead and get it back, thanks in no small part to the replies I have read today. WW1 German is my game and to me this stick is the Holy Grail. What is strange is even though it is 20.00 more than I wish to pay, it is still 10.00 cheaper than I paid the first time around? It is pictured in Bulgarian and German Hand Grenades and the most descriptive word I can come up with is "bitchin". Have a Dopp Zc91 fuze on the way which is another German WW1 ordnance item i've been drooling about for some time. Also ordered a 20mm Becker German WW1 projectile which is a minor score, but on my want list for a while. So anyways, again I hope no-one was offended, good stuff on the way, my wife actually loves me and the bills are paid. LIFE IS GOOD and Good living to all..Dano

Another thing to remember, a collection never belongs to you- you are just a guardian of it,you can't take it with you!
Cheers to all
Tony

okay

Well said Tony, we are here for a blink of the eye, then we croak, and the children split up the loot and buy head banging music. I guess that's my legacy...Always..Dano

except some items the Army says an M50A2 is worth $25 what would you pay.

I think I paid about that much for one, about 25 years ago. Seemed like a lot more at the time.... Of course I was making less than $900 a month. I seem to remember people telling me at the time how I was wasting my money, no piece of junk was worth that kind of money. Felt the same then as I do now.

Another thing to remember, a collection never belongs to you- you are just a guardian of it,you can't take it with you!
Cheers to all
Tony

Well said Tony, that's why its so important to look after it. Don't you just hate it when you come across great rounds that have been left to go rusty, I don't mean ones that have been recovered, its the ones that got damp in peoples cellars etc.
Dave.

Well said Tony, that's why its so important to look after it. Don't you just hate it when you come across great rounds that have been left to go rusty, I don't mean ones that have been recovered, its the ones that got damp in peoples cellars etc.
Dave.

You mean like these Dave?I almost cried when I found them.

Attachments

• Rusty 006.jpg
    Rusty 006.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Rusty 005.jpg
    Rusty 005.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Rusty 002.jpg
    Rusty 002.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 50
Hi,

Interesting thread.... Yes, IMO too, at times asking (and selling) prices can go to ridiculous heights; or perhaps better put: things that on my scale are way higher than I can or want to afford for it. I simply walk away from such items, and hope for something else nice to come along the lines someday. If someone else does have the money for those items, I just think: "good for them, I hope it finds a nice home", and then just forget about those items. In the end something else always DOES come along the line. I have previously collected other things too, and one thing that hasn't changed over the years, is the satisfaction in finding rare things for good prices. That gives me far greater satisfaction than paying high amounts for the items. This then means that the collection may grow slower than it could, but each item acquired in such a way will yield an additional nice feeling to it, as being a "small victory". This, and trading, are for me the ways to go about the collection.

Over here there's an interesting saying, which (literally) translates to something like: "'it's only worth whatever a madman wants to pay for it". Very true words on one end of the scale, but I also like US-SUBS view on it, from the other side of the scale: "it's worth 0.00". I guess the trick for anyone then becomes to find a location on the scale between those two extremes that they are comfortable with. :)

At times it can be frustrating to see items one really wants go to great monetary heights (mind you, I collect Jap stuff, so I know what I'm talking about :tinysmile_cry_t2: ), but still I don't let that drive me crazy, and just stick to my own limits; which then means having to walk away often from items. Occasionally I too fall off the bandwagon though, most notably so at the last ECRA fair, as my first swoop through the hardware didn't yield anything at prices within a -for me- reasonable range, in the end I forked out an amount of money that I personally thought was about (at least) twice as much as it should have been for two nice Taisho era cases. I did really want to get something from the Taisho era, and now I have something from all three eras. That, in combination with not having found other items, made me make an exception for once... :tinysmile_eyebrow_t

What I by far prefer though, is to swap when possible, and otherwise simply let some others have stuff they have a particular interest in and I don't, and have that work the other way round too. Without mentioning names, some of my best ammo-friends all have this type of agreement with me, and so far for all of them the balance has been pretty equal over the years, without any of us ever having put Dollar marks on the items when letting them shift hands...

O.k., just some of my ramblings, I don't know if they serve anyone, but at least it may help to get to know me better as a person as well as my attitude towards collecting. My number one priority in life is our little one, who started out as a 6Pr and is now just about a 30Pr already. Almost all other things in life are futile, and nice-to-haves. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Cheers!
Olafo

Last edited:
Olafo has hit on an important point about PRIORITY there. I'm lucky as an ordnance collector in being single with no kids and therefore more cash to splash. When or if i get married and have kids my priorities will change and i will no longer be able to stretch for those drooling rounds. It is worth what anyone is prepared to spend on it. I have purchased rounds for ridiculous amounts, because i can but i have also got some great bargains so it all balances out. To me it's not about the money but about meeting decent folk like you all with a similar interest, having a challenge to add to the collection and most of all enjoying the whole experience.
Charlie...