What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Original markings on 3.7 inch AA projectile?

Darkman

I want to repaint and stencil a WW2 era 3.7" AA projectile as close as possible to original. I have an original handbook so I know exactly what information is marked on the projectile, but I have found a number of conflicting images of exactly where the markings are applied. (I suspect that it may have been applied in different positions by different manufacturers, or even changed from the early to later war years.)

Plate 50 in the 1939 and 1940 handbooks are conflicting. They variously show the filling design number and exploder details above and below the HE filling green band.

I am also not sure if the paint and markings are original in the attached photo (taken at Fort Nelson, Portsmouth) or it has been repainted.

Does anyone have a projectile with original markings still present that they believe is authentic? Even if in poor condition as long as the paint is original.

Thanks,

Graeme

Attachments

• From handbook dated 29 May 1940.jpg
    From handbook dated 29 May 1940.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Fort Nelson.jpg
    Fort Nelson.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 73
Even if someone has a photo of an original projectile that would be great.:)

Thanks,

Graeme