What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Osprey Elite Vol.100

sudelmuk

HONORED MEMBER RIP
just got this new publication: "World War II Axis Booby Traps and Sabotage Tactics" by Gordon Rottman.
although many Osprey's are not a big seller, this booklet is a nice and inexpensice summary of this special subject.

I'm sorry but I'm not satisfied by this publication.

It's mainly a "cut and paste" from WW II US intelligence bulletin without any news on the subject.

Moreover italian items and tactics are completely neglected.

Ciao
Stecol

osprey 100 axis mines & boobytraps

I have this book to and it has some nice colour illistrations, and i think its a good start for anyone collecting German mines or boobytraps,
i also think it helps if a group wanted to do a engineer section on detecting methods and where and what is likely to be booby trapped and what was used ! i would say 7/10 for me as i like colour diagrams as it helps restorations to, :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

yes it is a copy and paste book but these type of books are every-where
you think great new book then look inside it to see half of it you have already seen before in about 10 other books ! dont let this put you off as this is worth 10.50 next day deliverd of e-bay !

Attachments

• !BU95)Ww!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-EYEjlLl0H2jBKQLZu(WOw~~_12.jpg
    !BU95)Ww!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-EYEjlLl0H2jBKQLZu(WOw~~_12.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 36
You are right, this book can be considered a good beginning, but nothing more: ten years ago it would have been the Bible for me, but today not.

I don't consider the reenacting and for restorations I invite you to take a look to this forum where I have seen fantastic jobs.

The fact that other books are product of "cut and paste" is not a justification: we must see at best, not to worse.

Ciao
Stecol

Today I bought Osprey Elite No 184 by Gordon L Rottman: World War II allied sabotage devices and booby traps and yes, that too is a cut and paste type of book but is nevertheless interesting and informative. It was interesting for me because when I joined the British army in 1978 the Nos 4, 5, 6 and 12 switches were still in service. The book cost 11.99 and was published in 2010. The ISBN is 978 1 84908 175 7. On page 63 at the back of the book there is a `recommended reading' section, including a website reference from where manuals can be ordered: www.military-info.com.