What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outbid on 18 Pounder book on eBay!

Darkman

Blast!

Just got outbid on a nice 18 Pounder Shrapnel Shell munitions book on eBay. (item No. 400152039165) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400152039165&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Complete reference book (296 pages) on all aspects on the manufacture of WW1 Shrapnel projectiles, fuses and shell cases.

I am right into these (18 Pndrs) so was very disappointed to miss out.
It was sitting on 51 when I bid 121 (> AUD$200) with 6 seconds to go - and lost it to an automatic bid placed days ago - so someone must have bid very high to get it.

I was wondering if a BOCN member won the book?

Graeme (Ballarat, Australia)

Very Nice!

That looks like a fantastic book, can't be too many of them around :tinysmile_grin_t:, someone certainly got lucky, sorry it wasnt you Graeme :tinysmile_angry_t:. Maybe it was a forum member?

Sorry you missed out on the book. It is a very hard to find book and also a very good one. I have that volume and the two companion volumes "Cartridge Manufacture" and "High-Explosive Shell Manufacture" also both by Hamilton and published in 1916. They are very thorough in covering the manufacture and design of the ordnance and filled with excellent drawings and photos of manufacturing equipment. Mine are marked First Edition" and I do not know if they were ever reprinted or republished. My copies pre-date the ISBN number system so I cannot help there.

Thanks for all the replies and PMs guys.

Waff - The book pre-dates the ISBN system. With regard to eBay 'sniping' - well that's the name of the game these days. When I first started out on eBay I was continually being beaten by last second bids that gave me no opportunity to increase my bid. So now I only ever bid in the last 5-10 seconds and bid the absolute highest amount I am prepared to pay for the item, regardless of what the price it is sitting on. Unfortunately that is how eBay is played these days, like it or not.

Taucher - Thanks heaps for the link to the ebooks. You beauty! (Australian colloquialism signifying 'well done' - not a personal reference!) They are professionally scanned at fairly high resolution, so will reproduce well. I would be happy to buy you a drink (or few) when you are in Australia. I am in Ballarat near Melbourne.

Regards,

Graeme

Alls well that ends well then eh!

Nice one lads for sorting this one between you both. :)
Yeah G,sod ebay now..not so often i am on there anymore.

best

waff