What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pak 40 HEAT

FNG61

Pak 40 HEAT round. Paint on the shell may be original (well done if it isnt) but the condition of it does match the rest of the round. Im sure there are lots of restorations and restorers out there. I just dont get to see enough of the originals or the restored ones to be able to tell original from very good restoration.

Attachments

• 75pakfull.JPG
    75pakfull.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 75pakdis.jpg
    75pakdis.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 75pakbase.jpg
    75pakbase.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 98
  • 75pakheatdis.jpg
    75pakheatdis.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 102
It is a very nice looking round! I'm thinking it is a repaint, as the lettering looks too nice, and the letter colors are too dense. It looks like it was done with lift-up letters. If you look closely at the FES, in the middle of the F, it looks like the green got under the middle of the F, where the letter wasn't stuck down tight.

It is a very nice looking round! I'm thinking it is a repaint, as the lettering looks too nice, and the letter colors are too dense. It looks like it was done with lift-up letters. If you look closely at the FES, in the middle of the F, it looks like the green got under the middle of the F, where the letter wasn't stuck down tight.
If it looks too good to be true...... it probly is. The shell markings are painted on, the brush strokes are visible. Should be a stencil spray painted or roughly brushed on though right? Mostly had US or Brit stuff to judge by. German stuff, that isnt relic, is too hard to find and too quickly snapped up to get a chance to study it. First decent German round of large calibre Ive owned.

Germans always used stenciled letters and ..... for stamp the stencils, I dont know the word for the item used. Never hand painted with a brush.

The general condition of the projectile and the case look excellent but the paintwork and stencil markings are not original.

The work is of a very high standard but I have never seen that glossy colour of green on a projectile.
The stencil markings of the case look too large also.

Saying that it is a very nice item for any collection. I would be happy with it as my first as they are hard to find in such a good condition.

Attachments

• 7.5cm Gr. Patr. 38 HL-B.jpg
    7.5cm Gr. Patr. 38 HL-B.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 39
The general condition of the projectile and the case look excellent but the paintwork and stencil markings are not original.

The work is of a very high standard but I have never seen that glossy colour of green on a projectile.

Saying that it is a very nice item for any collection. I would be happy with it as my first as they are hard to find in such a good condition.
You dont think the case markings are good either? They are the marks I thought were original. This getting educated is a looooong process. The case is steel despite it's brass appearance.

I agree completely with Paul. Even so it is nice find indeed.

Regards
E

Last edited:
You dont think the case markings are good either? They are the marks I thought were original. This getting educated is a looooong process. The case is steel despite it's brass appearance.

Speaking for myself I have still much to learn but I also try to help fellow members when I can. It is all part of the process.

You will find that the majority of german Pak and KwK cases are steel with a brass, copper or lacquer finish. Only the very early war or pre-war cases are solid brass.

Going back to your case markings:
I have a few Pak cases with markings and the 7.5cm Pak 40 seem always to be the hardest to read. The writing is small and I have never seen anything perfect like your case.
For example you can see how small in comparison to the rest of the case in the picture below. The writing is near the bottom of the case.

PC

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_3763.jpg
    Copy of IMG_3763.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 39