What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panzerschreck rocket connector

botcheg

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has an example of the wood connector or plug that was taped on the tail fins of the Pschreck rocket? It seems likely that some survived since examples of the wood tail structure of the Panzerfaust have been found in various condition. The pin and wire remnant that remained in the wood after firing should give some kind of indication on a metal detector, yet it seems more tooth brushes have been found than these plugs. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Bill

Thought I'd bump this up and give it another try. I had contacted another collector about this and he indicated he might have one in his collection. Been a while and haven't heard anything.
The recent posting in Cutaways of the LAW 72 rocket that showed parts that I had only seen in line drawings inspired me to try again. Thank you
If I ever find out anything I'll answer my own query and post the images here !

I thought it was an electric ignitor that was in the tail fin?,or do you mean a transport plug?

cheers

waff

schreck.jpg
Here a poor picture from Finnish WW2 manual. The wooden piece is a transport support for igniter cable and plug. It is removed when loading. As it's a piece of wood only it's very hard to find at battlefields.

"Puukahva" is the wooden part. "Kiinnistysnauha" is a piece of tape holding in on tail until removed.

Thank you all for your replies and for the picture from the manual Tmine35. Yes, Waffenamt, there is an electric igniter in the tail of the rocket with two wires coming out of it. One wire is soldered to the fin of the rocket and the other wire is attached to the pin that is pressed into the block of wood. The pin in the block of wood fits into a contact hole in the contactor box at the rear of the launcher to complete the circuit. After firing the wood block and pin were pulled out of the contactor box and probably thrown away. I realize this would be a very small piece of metal to detect but people find buttons and other small objects. You would think that, with all the rockets out there with electric igniters in their tail there would be just ONE that still had the wood plug at the end of one of the wires.

I guess I'll bump this up by starting to answer my own question. Today I came across an archive from another forum on the web and came across a thread by someone interested in this very same subject. I was hoping but they also didn't have a clue. It was in German but I got the gist of it. Anyhoo in the same archive was a thread about the Ardenne Military Museum in Luxemberg with pictures of their incredible collection. I couldn't believe that I could see in their display of antitank weapons a Panzerschreck rocket with what looked like the wood block on the tail. Also in a box below it, 2 rockets with wood blocks. These didn't look like they had the tape holding them on though the one on the wall must have had something holding it on and I couldn't see any wires or pin.
So, it would be GREAT if any of you guys happen to be in Luxemberg with nothing to do, go to the museum and get some closeups of those garl darn steckers !!!!!
Thanks,
Bill
Bild30.jpgDSC01564.jpgIMG00034%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Hi SG500,
I've been looking at that rocket for a couple of months now. Looks odd, too smooth with rounded edges. Must be 90% Bondo. If it had a connector block I'd be tempted to buy it. Well, maybe just copy the pictures (of the connector).
As far as firewood goes, I doubt the Russians could gather enough of the connectors to even get a fire going.
Bill

Here's what I'm talking about, a picture that shows a firing pit with a team loading a schreck with another rocket. I say another because nearby, lower right, is the wood block connector with the transport tape on it from a previous rocket waiting for someone 67 yrs from then waiting to be found. http://www.ullsteinbild.de./photodatenbank/cache/images/00/28/17/15/preview/00281715.jpg How many of you folks have come across firing pits ? Those connectors are out there waiting to be found.
Thanks, Bill

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 87
Here's a reply I got to this thread running on another forum:
"I saw your post on the communications forum about wire connection to rocket. I believe there were 2 types of rockets that could be used in the launcher. A ring contact type and a pin contact type. I think that the wood block was in the later type with a pin. It was made for simple manufacturing in the later part of the war. The wood block was a simple way to keep the pin from getting damaged in shipping and made a simple handle to push it into the tube's contact assembly at the top rear of the tube. As to how the wire was attached to the pin, there was likely some wired through the slot and held in by the tension of the groove and some also soldered to the pin (if the maker had solder to spare) after it was put into the pin groove. The big problem is that a lot of the manufacturing areas were moved into smaller and scattered places to protect them from bombing. This led to a wide variety of assembly practices on many armaments. I know this doesn't provide a nice simple answer to your question but I don't believe one really exists. Hope this helps. Good luck."
I replied:
"Thanks for the reply ! I think the info you have is correct only reversed. The wood block connector is on the early ammunition for the early "long" launcher. The ring contact ammo was used in the later "short launcher RPzB-54 (please see the walkaround image gallery at http://www.primeportal.net/armory/yuri_pasholok/rpzb_54_panzerschreck/ ) which had a contact box with a switch which allowed it's use with ammo that had the woodblock connector and the new ammo with the contact ring. I will send you an image from the manual showing these connections via email. Thanks again and thanks for the "slot" idea, makes more sense !
Regards, Bill"
To which he replied:
"I am sure you are right. I am going off memory of a poorly translated manual I had a friend in germany do on a whim almost 20 years ago. Do you have scans of the original German manual?"
and then I said :
"These should give you an idea of the setup of the firing circuit for the early and late schrecks.
If there are any gun stores, surplus/Army-Navy stores, antique/junk stores, swap meet/flea markets, museums, or re-enactment events in your area you should hit as many as you can 'cause you never know what you will find there.
Regards, Bill"
and I sent these pictures . . .

Attachments

• RHD%208-1864-6_1.jpg
    RHD%208-1864-6_1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 60
  • RHD%208-1864-6_2.jpg
    RHD%208-1864-6_2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 22%20j.jpg
    22%20j.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 66
  • 23%20j.jpg
    23%20j.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 51
I must have been practicing my alzheimers when I started this thread a year ago because I just came across a thread posted by bazooka chris in Feb 2009 with a reply by Mike P. that has a picture of his schreck rocket that looks like the pin from the connector block is laying right behind it. See http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7606&d=1234831903 . I sent Mike P. a PM hoping he might still have the rocket and could post one or two closeup pix of that pin. Fingers crossed, here's hoping.

Attachments

• igniter_pin.jpg
    igniter_pin.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 61
I recently got a reply, here or another forum - can't find it now, that said that they thought that the late war crunch might have meant soldering the wire to the pin was not an option and the wire was just pressed into the slot of the pin (the picture in the manual shows the wire on both sides of the pin) or into the hole in the wood block and pin inserted.
Does anybody think rationing would affect solder ? I know the wire from the rocket in our bazooka was just wrapped around the terminal at the rear of the launcher but images show the wire on the schrek rocket coiled in transit and stretched out when rocket is being inserted into the launcher. I would think that stretching action would cause the wire to be pulled out in at least a few instances leaving the schreck team with a serious pucker factor .
Any thoughts ?
Bill

Last edited:
Happy New Year everyone.
I continue the search for the connector pin.
Attached is the part of the pin that started this whole thing and my sketch of what I can see. If the plug is 6mm then the part to the right might be 4mm Diam.
Also attached is a picture of an original late war connector from an auction site that might have been Premium Militaria. I don't see evidence the wire was placed in the cut slot.
Any ideas or help still welcome.
Bill

Attachments

• connec pin.jpg
    connec pin.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG2.bmp
    81.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 1241_8.jpg
    1241_8.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 24
Hi Bill,

To find a period photograph of an item 4mm in diameter is perhaps like looking for a 'needle in a haystack' but I admire your persistance in answering the question.

The trouble is I think during this late war period you may come across differences in these connecting pins, depending on the manufacturer. At the end of the day its purpose was to make sure that an electrical wire was firmly connected to form a circuit, in an almost 'foolproof' way.
Now I'm no expert in this area but looking through your thread it appears that the pin is fitted within the wooden 'protector block' It also appears that this wooden block acted as a handle for inserting the pin (is this correct? - not just for protecting the plug from damage). If this is the case then the end to which the wire is connected will be within the wooden block (the flat end you refer to) - this makes sense as it would protect it from damage.
The end which is inserted to make the connection appears in your photos to have two methods of securing it into the socket. The first a 'spring wire' and the second a 'splayed slot' - both to me would seem to 'lock' the pin into place reasonably well - this was after all crutial to the firing of the rocket. So I think you are looking at two different methods of construction, the slotted version being a simpler manufacture process.
The rear end of the connector looks like a standard electrical fitting - I am sure I have seen this on other electrical items, but for the life of me I cannot think what at present to show a photograph.

I am not sure if the wooden block pulls away once the pin is inserted into the connector - held in place by the tension of the connector - maybe you know the answer to this?

anyway a couple of photos you already posted with my 'thoughts'. This is just me thinking aloud though, and running ideas past everyone for discussion, I have no proof of anything - only suggestions.

1241_8.jpgigniter_pin.jpg

Ok, I found an example of a pin, its not the one I was thinking of but serves the same purpose - electrical contact. This one forms part of a two pin plug for a WW2 Bomb Release switch, so of the period. In this case the pin is part of a bakerlite holder, the wire is inserted into a hole within the pin and soldered in place.
Having found this example, I wonder if there are other 'similar' applications of electrical wiring in German 'period' items which may shed more light into the connector you are looking for? There certainly must be other items that require a similar pin connector?

Kev

P1040782.jpgP1040783.jpgP1040785.jpg

Last edited:
I suppose you know of this site? http://www.bergflak.com/psfire.html

here is a photo from the above link, about the best I have seen, but still not clear enough for your needs.
some superb information in that site but no clear shots of this small connector as I can see.

Kev

pz3.jpg