What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

partially blown m1915 kugel

Grenades that are partially blown but still retain their general shape have long been a favorite of mine. This is a German m1915 kugel grenade with 1 side blown out of it. It holds a special place in my collection and I have had it for a long time. I don't know where it was originally found as it came in a box of goodies that was part of a three way swap. How about some members showing picture(s) of blown grenades and/or ordnance in their collections? Could get interesting...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 171.jpg
    Picture 171.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 68
Hey Dano,
Great idea for a thread, here are two examples that you should recognize, A German kugle that has 1/2 of the body intact with most of the fragments, and a top half of a Mills #5, that exploded due to external forces, as the spoon and striker are still in place. Dano Pointed out that I forgot to mention that all the fragments are from the same Kugle, and the fit together nicely, being about 85% of the grenade, these two grenades came from Dano's collection.
Best wishes
gus

Attachments

• exploded grenade 001.jpg
    exploded grenade 001.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 33
  • exploded grenade 002.jpg
    exploded grenade 002.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Hey Dano,
Here is Serbian hand grenade M-1912 .

Regards !

Attachments

• Serbian hand granate M-1912.jpg
    Serbian hand granate M-1912.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 32
Blown Mle 1888

From an ebay seller, exploded by an external source. The direct action fuze has not struck anything but shows sings of internal pressure as the base of the fuze is pushed inwards. These pieces from several projectiles give a good idea of how these break up. The charge was black powder. Certainly a far cry from modern carefully designed weapons.

Attachments

• IMG_9490.jpg
    IMG_9490.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 28
Why stick to grenades that have blown here is a German AZC10(hut) 3 exploded fuze

Attachments

• hut 3 001.jpg
    hut 3 001.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 13
  • hut 3 002.jpg
    hut 3 002.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 7
  • hut 3 003.jpg
    hut 3 003.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 7
French shell?

A shell from Mort-Homme, Verdun. Diameter is 75mm, wall thickness 8-9mm thickening to about 14mm just above the driving band. I think it's of French origin... any correction or further information warmly welcomed.

Tom.

Attachments

• DSC00733.jpg
    DSC00733.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00734.jpg
    DSC00734.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 23
Hi Tom
How interesting its always nice to see something like that.

Looks like a french gas shell.

A shell from Mort-Homme, Verdun. Diameter is 75mm, wall thickness 8-9mm thickening to about 14mm just above the driving band. I think it's of French origin... any correction or further information warmly welcomed.

Tom.

Tom.

You've shown me that before Tom, but I'd like to say that is the most spectacular exploded WW1 shell I've ever seen. Magnificent!

John

Tom.
Hello-I would say you have a 75mm chemical Projectile. Chemical Projectiles contained an enlongated booster charge which just fragmented the case to release the filler. Take a look at the base. One indicator that it is a chemical round is a solid base. HE projecctiles had a plate on the base to protect the HE fill from hot gases. Visited Mort Homme in 2008-makes you think. Good luck and stay safe-Arnie

Tom.
Tom, that has to be the absolute coolest exploded shell i've seen, some great stuff showing up on this thread...Dano

Der-Feldgraue and Arnie - thanks for your helpful comments regarding identification of the shell.

Fuzeman, John, Dano - thanks for comments re the aesthetics of it. Having removed the surface rust, I oil-blacked it to inhibit any further rusting. Some of the edges of the "petals" are now razor sharp, possibly as sharp as on the day it blossomed forth.

Tom.

ELAZ(28)A fuze from a 50Kg UXB that was found at Felstead airfield (Nr Bournemouth) which was blown up by 49 sqdn Royal Engineers, about 20 years ago, there was also a nice shaped nose cone from the same bomb

Attachments

• 28 blown fuze 003.jpg
    28 blown fuze 003.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 28 blown fuze 002.jpg
    28 blown fuze 002.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 11
ELAZ(28)A fuze from a 50Kg UXB that was found at Felstead airfield (Nr Bournemouth) which was blown up by 49 sqdn Royal Engineers, about 20 years ago, there was also a nice shaped nose cone from the same bomb

Very nice! There is still time to send it up North in ready for christmas!:tinysmile_tongue_t:

waff

Ive lost the nose cone i think its in the garage will post it when it gets uncovered, after the snow has gone Paul

Why stick to grenades that have blown here is a German AZC10(hut) 3 exploded fuze
Hi Steve, that AZC 10 is an awesome fuze. Could you tell me which German shell(s) this was used on? I base lots of what I collect on "eye appeal" and this fuse has "got it". Thanks so much....Dano