What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

passage of time

I just came to the realization that i'll never finish my book. Almost 100 years has past since WW1 so direct accounts are impossible. I don't seem to be able to comfirm much of anything and refuse to put out another "picture book". I will keep after it as much as possible but right now things look pretty much bleak....Dano

no book will ever have absolutlly every bit of info you could ever need dan. so dont be disheartened, get it published.:tinysmile_grin_t:
cheers, paul.

Passage of time,

Hi Dano,First hand accounts of WW! are no longer available but you and many other BOCN members have a wealth of knowledge that you are able to pass on to people like myself (and I am retired),schools teach about the cause and effect of wars,and how wars were fought,very few teach any technical information about the real nitty gritty of what wars were fought with and who fought with what weapons,I admire your commitment,stay with it,there are many not yet born who will want to share knowledge such as can be gained from people such as yourself
Kind Regards,Don,

Totally appreciate the kind words guys, but it seems even photographic evidence is simply not enough. I'm not saying i'm a perfectionist, in fact far from it but again I just can't meet even my own standards here. My old man told me once that what I think is what's important, but simply in this case it is just not true. My god, I could make a hell of a picture book but it is not enough. Fact is with what I have that is all it would be is a picture book and I aint going there. There are things in my mind that I know to be true but without something to support them they are just thoughts. Maybe I just need a couple of weeks to back up and punt....Dano

Well now-----

Don't give up--- Now any book about any kind of ordnance or really anything collected is in the end a picture book. That is how the information is passed on and that is what we the buyer want to see.We don't what to see just another picture book, we want a Better picture book, in fact the DAMNED BEST picture book there ever has been on the subject. All the facts that can be added is a plus. If all you have is a picture, then say so , "Unknown German Grenade circa 1917" What will happen is that if you give a contact email (maybe not your regular one) everyone with information, new images , corrections etc will pile on. In a year or two when you put out the new revised or volume 2 you just make the first (or last) chapter the additions and corrections to the first book. It's unavoidable. Once people see the book they pull out something they have and say what about this thing that I have, then you hear from them (then you buy it from them or at least learn more~). You aren't writing the great Novel - it's the Great German grenade book. I once put out a book on WW1 German Grenades, so long ago it's fossilized, (a couple have been listed on ebay- now that makes it history) and a good thing too with the information now available. Pictures of the Troops with the grenade you are discussing is the story - If I can do it, Gawd knows you can. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Okay Gordon, beginning to see the big picture. I going to do my best on the information part and that'll have to do. Would like to see your WW1 German grenade book. Title?.....Dano

Dano

Don't give up, it takes a long time to gather information and the information you do have can certainly be of use to others. Once you do put it out, you will undoubtly find more information that you will think should have been in there, ask me, I know about that. But, you must put a cap on it at some time otherwise it will never be done, there is always that little piece of information or photo that will pop up later, thats what amendments and second revised printings are for:tinysmile_twink_t2: Pictures are great but do need explanation to put them into proper context and lets face it, we all want the photos to compare with what we find. Keep going, its worth it in the end.

I should also have said, if you are looking for information on a particular grenade, give me a shout, I have extensive files and just might have what you are looking for.

Thanks sgtlynn, I certainly appreciate it. I will no doubt contact you before it is over. Whew, now i'm kind of bent on finishing this.....Dano