What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PDF size reduction while maintaining quality

BOUGAINVILLE

High all!

Have at long last finished the long promised high quality PDF file on TM 9-1901 Artillery Ammunition 1944.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/81990264/TM-9-1901-Artillery-Ammunition-1944
It is as close as possible to the same quality as the original manual and has beautiful colour illustrations. The only catch is its size, which is around 960 MB. It took me just over 10 hours just to upload it to Scribd and then they could not process it due to it being too large.

So I was wondering if anyone has any tips on reducing JPG file sizes while maintaining quality so that I can compile another PDF file but with less megabites.

The only other way is to produce a separate PDF for each chapter.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Did you tried the "document/reduce file size" option in Acrobat ? works pretty good (in the 9Pro extended)

Many thanks for the tip. I have just downloaded the 30 day trail version of Acrobat 9 Pro Extended and tested it out. It works perfectly just as you say. I reduced the size of the PDF from 960 MB to 432 MB. Now that is quite a reduction. The quality still is very good but I have set it so that it can only be viewed using Acrobat 9 or later.

I will now try uploading it again to Scribd.

Many thanks,
Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE