What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Percussion cap tin

roller63

Premium Member
I have posted this before, but it was a while ago before we had so many experts on board. Does anyone know exactly what these caps were for ? Tony.
MVC_259S-e58f5540a2c1b0d617d0a3d90e30f690.JPG

While I cannot prove it, I think they were the percussion caps used with the "Igniter, safety fuze, percussion, Mk. III"
perignitmk3.JPG

Thanks for that, it makes sense, the tin is not very big but the caps must be quite large seeing as there are only ten in one tin. The tins are being sold here as Home Guard kit, but now I am not convinced. Many thanks, Tony.

The caps, which I would call a snout are about 1.25 inches long and just under .5 inches diameter. I also have one of the boxes and would not call them Home Guard issue, look at the date on the box. I also don't think most of the boxes being sold were ever filled, Lot number not complete and the condition is almost perfect. Not like something that had been used. I expect someone found a box of unused tins and is flogging the off. Not that it makes them any less collectable, it just means they were unfilled.

Many Thanks for the reply, I think you have found the answer. As you say, probably an overrun of new, empty tins that someone has found. I will continue my search for the caps and propelling charge for the Northover Projector. Tony.

While I cannot prove it, I think they were the percussion caps used with the "Igniter, safety fuze, percussion, Mk. III"
We did not rearm those percussion igniters because most of them were missing afterwards. BTW they are pigs to unscrew.

I have a cardboard box of used snouts somewhere. I'll see what's printed on it - if anything.

Last edited: