What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PFM-1 air, Russian air delivered dispenser mine

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway model of a Rusian PFM-1(S) anti personel mine. The mine is a copy of the American BLU-43/B of BLU-44/B “Dragontooth” mine, however bigger. The mine is a hydraulicly activated air dropped dispenser mine. Due to it’s shape –borrowed from nature’s earonautical design of a maple seed- it does not need a parachute, it will descend to the ground rotating on it’s wing, minimalizing the impact force.
This mine was used in great numbers by the Russian army in Afghanistan, regretfully it was often seen as an interesting “toy” by children due to it’s weird shape, with dramatic consequences for the child.
The PFM-1(S) was therefore one of the main reasons for the call for a worldwide ban on landmines (Otowa Treaty), forbidding the design, manufacture, storage and use of landmines.
The PFM-1 has no self destuct mecanism, the PFM-1S has a self destruct mechanism.
The PFM-1 can be found in the following colours: Leaf green, Brown and Sand colour.
The PFM-1 is also known under the nicknames “Butterfly mine” or “Green Parrot”

Method of dispersion:
The PFM-1(S) can be dispersed in the following ways:
-312 mines form the cargo of a 9H128K3 artillery rocket. The warhead of this rocket contains 12 pcs of 9N233 dispensers which contain 26 mines each.
-11520/12960 mines in the VSM-1 helicopter (Mi-8T) borne system with 180 dispensers KSF-1/ KSF-1S 0.5 (72 mines) or KSF-1S (64 mines) dispensers (the KSF 0.5 holds a 50/50% mix of PFM-11 and PFM-1S mines).
-Tracked mine layer UGMZ (no further info
-5670/6480 mines in the VSM lorry mounted system with 90 dispensers KSF-1/ KSF-1S.
-PKM man carried system with 64/72 mines.
-KMG-U aircraft dispenser
-122mm BM21 artillery rocket

Data PFM-1(S):
Length : 120mm
width: 60mm
Thickness : 19mm
Weight of complete mine : 80 gram
Weight liquid explosive charge: 40 gram VS-6D
Arming time : between 1 and 10 minutes
Operation force : plm. 5-25 kg according to russian documents

Part list:
1- Upper part fuze body.
2- Lower part fuze body.
3- Connection ring.
4- Dash pot.
5- Silicon grease.
6- Transport safety pin.
7- Guidance ring.
8- Cap.
9- Spring under cap.
10- Firing pin housing.
11- Firing pin.
12- Firing pin spring.
13- Steel Ball.
14- Collar bush.
15- Firing cap housing (ring).
16- Firing cap.
17- Detonator.
18- Rubber bellow.
19- Arming pin.
20- Piston.
21- Spring.
22- Cover disc with small central hole.
23- Cover disc with three slots on circumference.

I have no name or typenumber for the fuze, so I made a description.

Functioning of the fuze:
Before relase from the dispenser , the mines are stacked in pair of two in the dispenser, fuze against fuze. Between both fuzes a safety clip is placed which keeps both transport safety pins (6) in lower position, unable to rise so the mine cannot be armed while in the dispenser.
Only after ejection of the mine from the dispenser the set falls apart, ripping away the safety clip. The transport safety pin (6) starts moving upward, pushed by the spring (9) under the cap (8), however reduced in it’s movement speed by the viscuous silicon grease (5) in the dash pot.
On the lower part of the fuze the arming pin (19) in the lower dash pot (4) is pushed upward by the spring (21) under the piston (20). In this piston a small (0,2mm dia) hole is drilled, below that two discs are placed , one with a central hole (22) and one with three slots machined on the circumference. Through these openings, the liquid explosive main charge flows during arming, creating a reduced speed upward movement of the arming pin (19).
The firing pin (11) is blocked in it’s downward movement by a steel ball (13), which –on it’s turn- is kept in inward position by a collar bush (14). This collar bush is mounted in the lower fuze housing and kept in a fixed position by three indentations in the fuze housing.
The firing cap housing (15) is kept in an angled position compared to the centerline of the fuze by means of a chamfered side of the lower half of the firing pin housing (10), enshuring the firing pin (11) cannot reach the firing cap (16) in safe position.
If the transport safety pin (6) moves upward, the arming pin (19), -pushed upward by the spring (21) under the piston (20)- starts pushing the detonator (17), The firing cap housing (15),and the firing pin housing (10) upward, however retarded in it’s upward movement by the transport safety pin (6) moving upward slowly through the thick silicon grease (5). While moving upward, the chamfered edge of the firing pin housing (10) dissapears into the collar bush (14), allowing the firing cap housing (15) with the firing cap (16) to rotate in line with the firing pin (11) and detonator (17). If the arming pin (19) is fully extended it has moved up this train of parts so far that the ball (13) has crept up till just 0,5 mm under the upper rim of the collar bush (14).
The transport safety pin (6) however rises another three millimeter under influence of the spring (9) under the cap (8), allowing the firing pin housing (10) to move upward freely. The mine is now armed.
If an operation pressure of approximately 5 kg is applied to the liquid container of the mine, the hydraulic pressure will push away the rubber membrane (18), pushing up the detonator (17), firing cap housing (15) and firing pin housing (10) parts train until the ball is released sideways and the firing pin moves into the firing cap, igniting the detonator and the mine.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• Fuze PFM-1 dwg-1.jpg
    Fuze PFM-1 dwg-1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 303
  • Fuze PFM-1 dwg-2.jpg
    Fuze PFM-1 dwg-2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 212
  • PFM-1 practice mines.JPG
    PFM-1 practice mines.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 229
  • uragan-4.jpg
    uragan-4.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 220 mm 9N128K3 rocket.jpg
    220 mm 9N128K3 rocket.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 172
  • mine laying vehicles.jpg
    mine laying vehicles.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 165
  • PKM manual laying system 1.JPG
    PKM manual laying system 1.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 159
  • PKM manual laying system 2.JPG
    PKM manual laying system 2.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 174
  • PFM-1 safe and armed.jpg
    PFM-1 safe and armed.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Cassette KSF-1S ( КСФ-1С)

Attachments

• image012.jpg
    image012.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 212
  • image018.jpg
    image018.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 185
Great write up and as usual fantastic sectioned items, thanks, all very informative.
Dave.

@ bar5428; Thank you very much for the added info. Can you please translate part No. 11 & 13 of the fuze drawing for me to the European meaning?
@ Dave, thanks, just very lucky to be able to get one for myself, the other one is for the museum I often work for.
Regards , DJH

Last edited:
@ Bar5428; Another strange thing, my parts (22 and 23) clearly allow fluid to enter the lower side of the fuze, the one in your drawing seems to be closed of with a plate below the spring. Having an open connection between the silicon fat (purple) and the liquid explosive does not seem like a smart solution as where it comes to long storage of mines in my opinion and is in fact unneccecerry
May it be that the difference between the normal and self destruct fuze can be found in a lower dash pot without silicon fat (open 22 & 23, no SD), either with SD (base closed, silicon fat) and maybe a somewhat longer pin that pushes the ball just over the edge of the collar bus.

I am a little confused now!
Regards , DJH

Attachments

• Fuze PFM-1 dwg-1.jpg
    Fuze PFM-1 dwg-1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 149
  • image012.jpg
    image012.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 171
  • image024.jpg
    image024.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 137
  • image026.jpg
    image026.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 122
Hi Bar 5428, thanks for all the info. This really helps to clear things up about the functioning of the fuze. What do you mean with the red circles and the !. Am I missing a part?
With regards DJH

As I understand now:

PFM-1 --> (no self destruct) Lower dash pot (4) has open base (pt 22 and 23), no silicon fat around the arming pin (19).

PFM-1S --> (self destruct) Lower dash pot (4) has closed base, silicon fat around the arming pin (19) and the arming pin is a bit longer so it can push the ball (13) over the edge of the collar bush (14).

Regards, DJH

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I like the display also; it makes it very clear how the PFM-1S works.
I also found out I made a mistake in the difference between the PFM-1 and the PFM-1S. The one I described is the PFM-1S , the PFM-1 has a different (much shorter) fuze. I will post the pictures showing the differences tonight.

Regards, DJH

the difference between the PFM-1 and the PFM-1S

A drawing clearly showing the difference between the PFM-1 (no self destruct mecanism) and the PFM-1S (with a self destruct mechanism).
So I had it wrong initially. The (self destruct) mechanism with the lower dash pot does not appear in any shape on the PFM-1, only on the PFM-1S.
Sorry for the inconvinience!
Regards, DJH

PS: ** I have also changed the name of the main posting from PFM-1 to PFM-1S**

Attachments

• PFM-1 with WGM-6 fuze, without self destruct mechanism.jpg
    PFM-1 with WGM-6 fuze, without self destruct mechanism.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 147
  • PFM-1S with WGMS-572 fuze, with self destruct mechanism.jpg
    PFM-1S with WGMS-572 fuze, with self destruct mechanism.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Thought I would add a photo of a couple of the PFM-1's. Desert tan, forest green and OD. The OD one is the inert trainer with the "y" cut into the wing. Shown for size comparison is the US BLU-43 Dragonstooth submunition used during the Vietnam period. Does anyone have a white PFM? I know they were made, but have never sen one.

Attachments

• PFMs.jpg
    PFMs.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 92
Your wish is my reality!
The orange model had a dark liquid (Training)
Regards

Attachments

• PFM 1..jpg
    PFM 1..jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF0777.jpg
    DSCF0777.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 114
Thoughts on Popov's Design.

Dear pzgr40,
Another "Tour de Force"! I will soon have nothing to think about on sleepless nights! A few observations.
A)- Could Popov have introduced the clever tilting primer, so that only a low order detonation would take place in the event of a fire, (Americans went for the "Aerex" binary explosive to provide for the primer cooking - off )? Were the plastic bodied units considered to be very vulnerable in the case of a fire?
B)-This device was notorious for requiring multiple operations to operate, in the non-delay form. Perhaps this was due to tight fits being used to stop leakage. Then, where the fits were too close, a pressure pulse would move the parts until they jammed. The fluid would then seep between the surfaces, allowing fresh movement at the next pressure impulse.
The Self Destruct version had to have free movement, so Popov provided a diaphragm to provide a seal, and relaxed the tolerance on fits.
C)-Your point about not allowing the silicone grease to mix with the explosive explains the two discs, closing the bottom chamber. The spring pressure on the top disc causes it to act as a one-way valve, preventing outflow of the silicone. However, as a negative pressure devloped with piston movement, due to the area of the piston rod, then fluid could enter the chamber. Do you agree?
D)- Finally, why was the Russian unit so much larger? It can't be due to inferior explosive, can it?

Hi,
A- I think this plastic is easily damaged by fire, so I suppose the PFM will burn up rather than detonate. In safe position there is no direct contact between the rotated firing cap (red) and the detonator (pink) , so in case of an accident it will not detonate.
B- still working on an awnser.
C- The fluid can enter the lower dash pot through the holes in flanges 22 and 23. Plate 23 is curved a bit so it does not lock off the hole in flange 22. The fluid creeps along the side slots in flange 23 into the hole in flange 22 when the piston moves forward.
D- Russians have a tendency to make their mines bigger than NATO types anyway. As a typical nato AP mine contains 25 to 50 grams of explosives , their russian counterparts mostly have 100 to 250 grams of explosive. They are meant to kill, not to blow off a foot

Last edited:
Hello all a great cutaway once again pzgr40 thank you. Could someone please tell me what the liquid is that is in the training models? and can someone confirm that the training models have a solid base and the Y symbol cutout in the wing.
Regards Daryl